Breast cancer

• 10 replies
  • 269 subscribers

I got breast cancer in Nov 2021 had chemo ,surgery ,radiotherapy and now I’m on a hormone blocker and bone strengthening infusion every 6 months 

all that said I’m back to work have gone on holidays enjoyed myself but at the back of my mind I’m so so afraid it’s going to come back I wonder do other ladies feel the same is it normal to feel this way 

I know some ladies who are happy and healthy ten plus years on but I also know many cases where this is not the case 

I just wonder how it affects everyone 

• Yes it keeps rearing it's head. Before I had cancer I never thought it would happen to me, now it's always lurking in the background.. As a double mastectomy I don't have any check ups or review's. I am wondering if maybe I should stop reading the Macmillan posts. 

• Maggie 2, 

Im just over a year from diagnosis and I’ve gone through the same treatment regime as yourself, plus I’m now on Abemaciclib for 2 years and yes I feel the same. I don’t express my anxiety to family or friends but it’s there all the time. Unless you have endured this disease and treatment you don’t truly understand. I try and do get on with my life but that cloud is always there. 

• Thank you for this post. I am a year from my diagnosis. It is something that just walks beside me, the fear that this will come back. I don’t share those feelings with anyone but I know I need a healthy way of living with cancer. My hope is that time and acceptance will allow me to move forward 

• Hi 

I am nearly two years since active treatment finished (June 22) I am on Letrozole for 8 more years and Ibandronic acid for another 18 months or so. 

I am thankful to be here after SMX, Chemo and radiotherapy. Like you say unless you have been there no one knows how that reoccurrence gnaws away at you. It actually seems to become worse the longer you are out of treatment. 

It is always on your shoulder nibbling your ear. But I try to get on with my life and enjoy the small things too. Some days are really good others not so. I like you don't speak of it other than to my BC friends who are great. Dealing with the mental side and the physical side effects of medication takes its toll. I get frustrated as I don't have the stamina I once had. I walk the dog every day and appreciate nature which all helps. 

Onwards and upwards lovely ladies.

Heart

• We are here and living again. It might not be the same as before but are still here to enjoy life as much as we can. I've got my first Zoledronic Acid infusion next week. The bad side effects are not for the faint hearted but hey ho hopefully it will do me some good. Xxxx

• Thanks ladies for all your honest posts . Sometimes when I put up a post and get some wonderful replies it helps me so thank you all . 
    I do my best to remember that my cousin is 11 years free and looks amazing in her 60 s . Xxxx 

• Ihad my masectomy in Oct 23 and still waiting for 15 sessions of radiotherapy. Feeling very scared. Iv'e just signed in and joined. So not to sure if I'm doing the right message in the right group.

• I had 15 sessions of radiotherapy and I was fine keep using the creams they give u I live 50 miles from the hospital and I drove myself there and back 12 out of the 15 . 
    Don’t worry it was painless in and out quickly and u get very used to it 

take care keep going ur doing mighty send you lots of love xx 

• Thank you so much Charlie.x

• Hi all here, some familiar, some new. I’ve been rattling around the site for over 5 years now! Great place for support and shared experiences. Re fear of recurrence…. Like so many aspects of the whole cancer malarkey, we all deal with it in our own ways. In my case I feel that the fear of recurrence is never far away, but it doesn’t stop me enjoying my life. It’s almost like I’d rather be prepared for the possibility, maybe in the hope that it will/ would be less of a shock if it happens. I don’t discuss it with family or friends, apart from a select few, particularly those who’ve had cancer too. There’s also an article that gets referred to here from time to time, that I’ve found helpful over the years. I’ll try to post the link. Love to all, HFxx

www.workingwithcancer.co.uk/.../After-the-treatment-finishes-then-what.pdf

HappyFeet1 xx
    Don’t be afraid to cry. It will free your mind of sorrowful thoughts. – Hopi