Lumpectomy

• 2 replies
  • 267 subscribers

Hi I’m due to have lumpectomy on 22nd feb for a 17mm removal, Is this done by local anaesthetic? X 

• Hi Burgess, as far as I know it’s done under a general anaesthetic, I’ve not heard of anyone having it done under local. Whilst under the normal take a couple of lymph nodes too (sentinel ones) to check if any cancer cells are in them. Your medical team should contact you before hand and you should have a pre op check too. I found it was good having a shirt or blouse as after the op you won’t feel like putting your arms above your head. Same if you can get an open fronted pair of pjs. When I had mine it was a fairly quick procedure just under an hour. The team were great and I had no worries at all about the op. 
    Wishing you all the best

Hugs from cuffcake x x x x x

• Hi Burgess, yes it is normally done under general anaesthetic.  Mine was about an hour and I had the sentinel nodes removed for testing.  All was ok.   Wish you well with your op and you get good results.  Make sure you do the exercises given afterwards as this really helps with movement. Xx