Lumpectomy wound infection

• 6 replies
  • 268 subscribers

Hiya i had my lumpectomy and lymphnodes removed 6 months ago my wound has been sore and hot and hurting just been to doctors and i have an infection in my wound has this happend to anyone else ? Its been 6 months since my surgery ?

• Oh no, that sounds like a long time after surgery to get an infection. I hope it clears up and becomes less painful soon, best wishes 

Community Champion badge

• Thankyou irishgirl16 its just a bit worrying Worried 

• Hi, it does seem too long ago to have an infection. I obviously haven’t seen your axilla and your Gp has but could it be a type of lymphoedema. If there is no improvement by Monday I would phone up the breast care nurse and try and get it reviewed by them. At least you can say you have tried antibiotics. Hope it’s sorted soon.

• Thankyou shade yes i think i will ring breast nurse on monday i had triple negative and in my lympnodes , 

• Hi  , sorry you’re having this issue. I have mild lympheodema in my treated breast (less well known side effect of radiotherapy) and had a skin infection out of the blue, a year after surgery. Not so much the wound though, more on the skin on the front of my breast, whereas my one long wound for both the wide local excision and sentinel node sampling, is down the side. Antibiotics cleared it up pretty quickly.
    The lympheodema was diagnosed several months after my radiotherapy - I was referred by my oncologist to the lympheodema service and the nurse there confirmed it plus gave me strategies to deal with it. It’s good that you’ve been put straight on antibiotics but I’d definitely contact the breast clinic to ask to be seen there. Love and hugs, HFxx 

HappyFeet1 xx
    Don’t be afraid to cry. It will free your mind of sorrowful thoughts. – Hopi
  • Thankyou happy feet i will mention about the lymphodema yes its not on the scar its around the nipple area and nipple were my cancer lump was x