Treatment plan

• 7 replies
  • 268 subscribers

So much has changed on my journey since finding my lump in August 2023.  I remember being told it's the best cancer to have (if ever there is a best form of cancer), to "it's tiny, try not to worry".  Really!  I have done a lot of reading and following of other womens journey's and I have learnt a lot.  But for a "tiny cancer" it has been very busy, because what started in my breast and was thought to be only in my breast with no signs of enlarged lymph nodes at diagnosis in Sept 2023, by the time my lumpectomy and sentinel node biopsy took place on 24th October 2023 (originally scheduled for 5th October '23)  cancer had managed to set up home with extra focal spread in my node, and by the time my level 3 axillary node clearance took place on 12th Dec '23 (originally planned 5th Dec - due to not allocating enough surgeon time) it had spread to another node and I recieved this information beginning of January '24.

So now I'm at my first oncology appt (12/01/24)and discussion takes place and I am told that there is no benefit to chemotherapy but Radiotherapy is recommended, a sigh of relieve as having had a heart attack in January  '23  - chemo was a big concern for my heart.  

Second oncology appt 26/01/24 and having recieved summary letter of last appointment I noticed wording had put me as postmenopausal,  this was not correct, and I had to straighten this out,  so arriving at appointment and expecting to sign a consent form for radiotherapy but within minutes of correcting menopause status was told I now need chemo - what!!!  So given my heart condition I am given two chemo drug info sheets to go home with and think on.

So friday  2nd February '24 having done more research (trying to find a way out of doing chemo) being told it's my decision, but realistically it's not much of a choice I signed the consent form.  I also found out my tumour went from stage 1 at the beginning of this process to stage 2.  So diagnosis stands at -breast cancer er+ pr+ her2- grade 2 T1,N1,MX, oh and don't forget perimenopausal.

I'm 54 and want to live! It all feels like a horrible nightmare of treatment - for which I have to be grateful for and I am !

I am as I am sure you all are too, worried, scared, unsure of who you will become by the end of this process, uncertain as to whether life will ever be the same.  These are all valid feelings.........But we can (I hope) get through this!

If you read all of this thankyou for taking the time and sorry!  I just need to get it all out there, I  know some of you will have a poorer prognosis than me, and I do feel guilt in that respect.

Thank you to the doctors and nurses and researchers and studies that have managed to give me a better outcome from this disease, I am grateful!

• Hi SammyJW

Thank you for posting as it definitely resonates.

I was told initially tumour was tiny and would just require lumpectomy, possibly radiation.

After MRI they discovered 3 lumps total and the HER2 status of one of them was + so then mastectomy and chemotherapy on the cards. Lymph nodes showing clear but after surgery one found to be positive.

I'm now post mastectomy and just finished chemo. Radiation planned in next few weeks.

It's all been a bit of a rollercoaster and nightmare.

I cry everyday and sometimes feel very very bleak. However, I gain strength from posts like yours and others who determine to take one day at a time and stay positive.

Having existing mental health issues doesn't help either!

You shouldn't apologise at all as we are all at different stages. 

As you said, the surgeons, nurses and everyone else are marvellous. 

Hope you have a good day xx

• Blessings to you,  I  have days where I feel hard done by, and I cry a lot and get emotional, there are days when I want a reason why and someone to blame.  I don't feel sexy, hate my scars (this sounds very shallow compared to your treatment) and yet I know through this transformative process I need to find peace about it all.  I know everyone will have feelings like this too.  I have listened to an audiobook which is obviously available as a real book called reconstruction by rosamund dean.  It is a great read, but won't fix what we are going through.  Stay strong, I write stuff down in a note book when life feels really crappy, again it doesn't change reality but can help get it out of your head, I try and find something great about each day and jot that down too.  I hope you can work through your issues and find some positives, in the meantime stay strong and focus on you and what you need to get there xx

• Hi, thank you for writing. I could be wrong, but I think there are more people who feel like this than we imagine. Not just those who  have had breast cancer, but any cancer, and also those with other chronic and life threatening diagnoses too. It was my GP who warned me (about half way through pre- surgery chemo) that my original diagnosis could very likely change after surgery. I tried to ignore her comment, but gosh she was right. And three years down the line, I find out that this happens more frequently than we would like to think. I too get exhausted with it. I go from feeling grateful and appreciating tiny things on one day, to living in fear of recurrence or being diagnosed with something else on another day. 
    i do wonder if wet, winter weather, and a lack of sunshine and warmth doesn’t help. It’s a basic thought, but if other people can be affected negatively by the season, then why wouldn’t we? And on top of everything else too. See if you can find something nice for yourself today. I’m about to feed my lovely garden birds, and then have a quiet cuppa. Xx

• Thank you so much! And it most definitely doesn't sound shallow! I hate being bald! And yes hate the scars too x

• Bless you SammyJW . 

l had a journey not dis similar to yours. Every appointment things got worse. My initial diagnosis was lobular Cancer no node involved and surgery followed by radiotherapy. To help me decide lumpectomy or SMX I had an MRI this showed dodgy node so another biopsy and positive. Decided SMX and possible node clearance. Had 10/14 nodes which then bought chemo into the mix! All other scans clear thankfully. After surgery had a large seroma which was drained several times and very uncomfortable. Eventually it got reabsorbed and chemo began. 5 months x6 chemo sessions. Then Letrozole meds began and before I started on biosophantes I had teeth checked and 4 back ones at top had to be removed as loose and heavily filled! More pain l. Had radiotherapy x 15 finished in June 22 exhausted then started meds for bones and the AI's have joint pain side effects! I feel like I have aged 10 years but on the positive I am still here and heading towards 2 years since treatment end. It is hard I won't lie but do able. Take care cry when you need and beat this Thumbsup

Heart

• I try and find something positive in every day, some days are harder than others.  It feels so nice (if I can say that) to find it's not just me feeling this way and I would like to thank you for your comments and wish you well on your journey xx

• I to experienced a large seroma, and as clinic was closed over christmas put me in quite a depressive mood as I couldn't get it drained till clinic opened(I had it drained twice) then they said as it wasn't as big I would need to wait for it to absorb, it has now absorbed and some improvement in swelling now.  

Their going to give me 4 cycles of chemo taking my heart into account and selecting chemo drugs that are safer.  Still experiecing peri menopause symptoms which I know will probably get worse with all the other treatments still to do.  But I will take one day at a time as they say.  

Thankyou for sharing your experience, I wish you all the best on your continuing journey. xx