Anastrozole and hair loss

• 2 replies
  • 267 subscribers

Hi everyone, I feel so lucky to be coming out the other side of my journey after a rollercoaster ride last year. After having surgery x 2, 5 months of chemo and 3 weeks of radiotherapy, I’ve now begun taking Anastrozole.

i was on a high that I seem to be getting back to my normal life, back at work etc and after a month of Anastrozole, seem to have very few side effects. However, this week I’ve noticed that my eye lashes which had regrown after chemo have mainly fallen out again and my hair seems thinner. On the scale of what I’ve been through, and what many of you are still going through, this seems really minor, and I feel guilty moaning about it but it has really knocked me down as I felt life was going back to normal. Does anyone else have experience of this while taking Anastrozole? Is it likely my hair will be affected for the whole time I’m taking these tablets or is it a temporary thing?

• Hi  , sorry you’re having this issue especially after getting through a gruelling package of treatments. I’ve been on Anastrozole for just over 5 years but didn’t have chemo. My hair is definitely thinner but I haven’t noticed any other hair loss (in fact I feel like I’ve gained hair in unwanted places eg a hairier face). Unfortunately these pesky pills do seem to have a pretty wide range of side effects, but I’d consider getting a GP appointment (easier said than done, I know) just to see if there’s another cause that might be easy to resolve. Love and hugs, HFxx

HappyFeet1 xx
    Don’t be afraid to cry. It will free your mind of sorrowful thoughts. – Hopi
  • Hi Casper29,  well you have had a lot of treatments and Anastrazole has its own issues too.  I had surgery and radiation but no chemotherapy.  I have been on Anastrazole for about 20 months and my hair has thinned out but not real noticeable as I had thick hair.  It seems to be doing ok and not getting worse.  It is stressful for sure as it is just another thing.  I use an irestore helmet every other day as it is supposed to help androgenic hair loss.  Used it for about 13 months so far and I think it has helped.  WS pricey but got it for myself as Christmas gift.  Does come with a good warranty.  Best thing for hair loss is to see dermatologist as can be different causes and treatments.  I do think it is the Anastrazole for hair thinning on head but don’t know about eyelashes.
    Take care and hope things stabilize.  

Barbara