Started zoladex

• 2 replies
  • 268 subscribers

Hi there I had my first zoladex injection a few days ago due to having to come off tamoxifen as I’m allergic to it.

what has been peoples experience with zoladex, how long till you feel any side effects and what were they

i start anastrazole once im in menopause in about 3 months they said then have both zoladex and anastrazole for 10 years

• Hi plummymummy,

The injections were okay for me until day 3-5 when I had really bad shooting pains in my back and so I spoke to a nurse at the hospital and they said it’s one of the side effects and to take the pain killers they had given me, and that did the trick. I had the injections after every EC round and tbh after that one episode I was fine. Just a bit of bloating but that’s all.

Sending best wishes

cammie xx

• I had my first zoladex during chemo and then at the 4-weekly intervals after that.

I didn't notice a huge difference for 3 weeks and then it hit me. I think the chemo may have made it more intense, but it is a pretty intense way of going into menopause as your hormone levels drop to being post-menopausal within 3 weeks.

They did significantly improve, but it took a while, and they only started improving once I was through chemo.

Mainly multiple hot flushes day and night (I started at every 20 mins 24/7 but I don't think everyone is as bad as that!) and I also had anxiety with the hot flushes.

It does get manageable and there are good tips on here to help - using chillows, a fan, dressing in layers, drinking plenty of water etc.

Good luck with it, hopefully a bit easier on you.