Progesterone positive and tamoxifen

• 1 reply
  • 267 subscribers

Hi All,

I'm looking for anyone who had just a weak progesterone receptor in their cancer and has been recommended tamoxifen.

I've had chemo and surgery, wide local excision and axillary node clearance. 

Awaiting radiotherapy. One of my cancers was weakly pr+ (3/8) at diagnosis. As it was just one hormone receptor that was weakly positive, I'm diagnosed as triple negative.

I got cpr after surgery but there was still 1cm of dcis which was removed by the surgeon. The oncologist said this was to be expected as it doesn't respond to chemo.

Anyway, he has recommended I go on tamoxifen for 5 years. The leaflet clearly says there's no data for whether it's of any benefit to pr+ cancers. In fact, there seems to be very little information about progesterone breast cancer as it's not the most popular flavour.

The oncologist said it's a cover all bases offer but can't say whether it would actually make any difference. ("Marginal benefit")

Is there anyone who was also pr+ and went on to tamoxifen?

Apparrently, its quite rare to be progesterone only positive. It is usually paired up with oestrogen positive. As tamoxifen is about suppressing the oestrogen it seems to just be a try your luck approach as to whether it will have any impact on the progesterone. 

My gut feeling is to say no. I want my life back. At 42, I don't want to be going through menopausal symptoms before I have to and with a small chance I might still have fertility I don't want to waste any more time. However, I don't want pass up an opportunity to reduce future recurrance.

If you have had a similar situation your thoughts/advice would be much appreciated.

Thank you Blush xx

• Hi, I haven't had this experience myself but I noticed your post hasn't had any replies yet, so my response will bump you back to the top of the group (as it's quite busy) and hopefully someone with the right experience will be along soon. Best wishes 

Community Champion badge