Carpal tunnel and letrozole

• 3 replies
  • 268 subscribers

I had a mastectomy in September. I have now been on letrozole for about seven weeks. I have now developed carpal tunnel in my right wrist. It’s agony and I can’t sleep at night. Don’t know if I’m going to be able to carry on with this medication I understand it’s a real side-effect but it’s so bad. Has anybody else experience this?

• Hello and sorry to hear about you being affected with carpal tunnel. I haven’t experienced this pain but my aunty was also on this medication, and struggled with this pain to in both hands. Eventually, was taken off and went on to Tamoxifen. There is only my aunty I know of and not sure how common this is with your medication. I am sure others will be able to support and help you to on this site. Hope you get sorted and out of further pain x 

• Thank you so much. I called the breast care nurse and she said she didn’t think carpal tunnel was a side effect. Felt like I was going mad. I don’t want to give up on letrozole so quickly but I feelCryike cutting my hand off at night Cry

• Dear Denny1

Just wondering how you’re doing now? I’ve recently had breast surgery and been taking Letrozole for a few weeks. I had 5 sessions of radiotherapy and during the first night after the therapy I suffered numb hands. I asked the radiotherapies if this was caused by the therapy but they said it wasn’t. A month later my breast nurse has taken me off the Letrozole prior to seeing my consultant next week to see if my symptoms improve. I saw my GP yesterday and they said the therapy causes inflammation which can cause Carpel Tunnel Sundrome. She suggested I try wrist braces on a night so will give them a go. She seemed to think, once the inflammation subsides, I should improve. Is there any hope?