Delayed (very!) reconstruction

• 4 replies
  • 267 subscribers

I have had cancer twice (2015,2021). The first time required a mastectomy, the second a lumpectomy.

For several reasons, I was not allowed an immediate reconstruction (8 years ago) and did not have reconstruction then. Following all the treatment for the second bout, I have been on the waiting list for with the plastics team for 18 months. I finally had an apt 6 weeks ago with a very rude doctor (this is being followed up with PALS). Part of the problem with him was his impatience of sharing my options.

I would like to hear from anyone who had the flap using back tissue. I think this is what I will be pushed to have but am not that keen (as in why cut the back if it can be avoided). A tummy tuck option seems unlikely for me as there is little fat there and this doctor was dismissive of the implant.

Thank you.

• Hi Kandy

Welcome to the forum and I am sorry to hear that you had breast cancer.  While I didn't have a mastectomy  I noticed that you haven't had any answers yet so I thought I'd reply to you to welcome you to the community.  This reply will put you to the top of the discussion. Hopefully someone with the relevant experience will be along shortly with an answer for you.

Wishing you the best of luck with the operation.

Best wishes

Daisy53

Community Champion Badge

• That's a kind gesture.

I suspect that (like me in the past) that by the time people have had successful outcomes, they use this service a lot less. I may need to find another way of getting this information, but let's see over the next few days. I still have no follow up appointment so there is no hurry...sigh...!

Kandy

• Hi

I had SMX in July 2019. Had inflammatory breast cancer so couldn’t have immediate reconstruction. Had consultation about recon on 4/1/20. Was told couldn’t have implant so had to make the choice of either DIEp or Ld flap. Consultation was with 2(male) surgeons they were very dismissive and patronising and tried to suggest I should just accept being flat. I asked to be put on the waiting list for DIEP but after some research into it ( recovery times, waiting lists) changed my mind to LD flap.

Finally had 1st stage surgery September 2022 at a different hospital due to 1st hospital still not starting delayed reconstruction after Covid and now awaiting 2nd stage ( should have been done 10months ago so getting impatient!)

I have no regrets - scar on my back isn’t that noticeable , no loss of shoulder or arm function. I’m aware that if I’d said DIEP surgery I would still be waiting for 1st stage surgery.

• hi Toothtinks

I'd almost forgotten I'd posted that message as had had no further responses. Thank you so much for taking the time to reply. You know what is really odd though, is that it came through when I finally had the first of two appointment to get onto the waiting list. The one I've just had was a 'show and tell' where you could speak to women who'd gone through one of the many options. Weirdly the consultant there told me she would be coming to my local hospital next week, so is my new doctor. I had warmed to her and am delighted. Your message consolidated what I am thinking: I have several scars already. All are now barely visible and so the one on the back (presuming I do go this way) will likely be the same. I think there will still be quite a long wait but at least I should finally be on a list.

Thanks again and am so pleased to read you have no regrets.

Kandy