What happens next?

• 215 replies
  • 255 subscribers

Hi Everyone, I had biopsy done on Monday and due back on 22nd August. Consultant was confident that from the imaging it was cancer. How long before treatment starts? Saw some horror stories on BBC news today. What is the optimum schedule? Any information you can offer will be gratefully received. Thank you

• It very much depends on what other diagnostic tests they want and what type of cancer you have. Once my biopsy results were back, I was sent for an MRI, then they decided I needed chemo first to shrink it, so I needed a CT scan to check for spread as that would dictate chemo and treatment plan, I was also sent for a heart scan to make sure I could go ahead with chemo - and I needed a dental check up ahead of chemo too!.

I had a really positive experience - I found my lump one Wednesday evening, I was at the GP the following morning, at the Breast Cancer clinic the following Wednesday. From GP visit to starting chemo was 7 weeks.

• Thank you for your quick response. Sounds like a lot happened very quickly and that is reassuring to hear. I will wait for my appointment on the 22nd and see what they propose. I feel better going with a time scale in my head thanks to the information you have given me. Wishing you all the best 

• Hi Joyce,  I had my biopsy this week too.  Same thing, the consultant was confident my lump was cancer.  I am due back next week for the results and wondering what to expect.  

• Hi Gardinia, how’s the bruising? I was told to expect bruising and they were right! I have my follow up appointment on the 22nd and a letter arrived yesterday with an appointment to see a surgeon on the 24th. I feel ok and then I have moments when I really don’t. 

• Hi Joyce, the bruising isn't too bad, they took 3 samples (core biopsy) and I didn't feel a thing.  I take my plaster off tonight.  Yes same here, I've accepted the inevitable surgery and treatment, but have occasional moments when i am terrified.  

I don't know who I will see next week, I assume I get the result and a treatment plan.  

I am trying to get fitter ready for surgery.  Nothing too strenuous though.  Watching what I eat and no more alcohol.

Have you seen the list of questions on here, some things to consider asking at the appt.

I hope we don't have to wait too long to get it removed.  6mm*8mm and hoping it hasn't spread.

• I’m I same boat a you sort of Joyce Louise I had Biopsy’s on Monday too and due to go back 17th so hoping to find out what treatment And when.

• Thanks, I had not looked at the questions to ask. My tumour is 25mm which is pretty big. 

• Seems like we are in the same boat, hard just having to wait and see. 

• Hi Joyce, mine was 36mm and I’m now cancer free after 7 months of treatment! So just wait until you see what your plan is, the odds are, after some treatment and lots of TLC, you’ll come out the other end and be fine. All the best to you xxx