** JUNE - AUGUST 2022 BREAST CANCER CHEMO **

• 19 replies
  • 255 subscribers

Here's a new thread for discussions around chemotherapy, as the existing threads were getting a little long. If you're looking for earlier discussions, you can find them in the below links:

Please do let us know if you have any other threads you think would be useful to link here.

• Thank you so much for sorting this for us you are absolute stars thank you. x

gail

Community Champion Badge

• Thank you, much appreciated. Jo 

• Hi there hope everyone's days are going ok. I have found a lot of good advice and comfort on here. Thanks so much.

I'm starting cycle 3 of 4 TC docetaxel cyclophosphamide Herceptin next week. Last 2, on about days 3-8, I have felt physically and emotionally c***, and wonder if I can just stop the chemo even tho I know I should carry on.

What I would like is any tips on how to get through those days when you struggle from sofa to bed, just about managing to eat something. My usual distractions of pottering around or crunching Excel Nerdspreadsheets are not possible at these times NerdFrowning2️

• Hi  

Sorry you’re feeling Poop one of the reasons you start to feel it on day 3 is steroids leaving system then after day 8 your nets start to build up again . I know that info doesn’t help an awful lot but but after keeping diary and seeing pattern I set my stall out around the bad days if I could . 
    Listened totally to body and ate small and often slept when fatigue hit etc etc . I had 6 x EC towards last few cycles early days I was lucky to walk 200 /300 steps but would get up to 3000/ 4000 . To me it didn’t matter if I manage that or not .

Mentally one thing that helped was decided feeling Poop meant chemo was kicking cancer up the A*** . I also spent rough days planning treats for good days after day 10 .

Eat whatever you fancy ( taste buds change anyway ) I kept little tasty snacks in fridge to pick on . Frozen grapes are great for cleaning palette. 
    You can read my story if you click on my name to get to profile . Hopefully last treatment on the 20th after 3year .BlushChampagneClap tone1

One step at a time and ...Breathe !
    xoxox
    Margaret
  • Thanks Margaret much appreciated and I will look at your profile. And, wow, congrats on last treatment after a long time -phewGrin

• Had my oncology meeting today and they have requested that I start my first round of ec chemo middle of next week but said it may be pushed to the start of the week after as they are really busy at the moment. I am having a portacath fitted before hand as I have major issues with my veins and needles). Think I'm due to have 2/3 rounds of EC and then a further 3/4 rounds of another type after depending on how tumour is responding (I've currently got a 3.1cm grade 3 triple negative invasive ductal carcinoma tumor).

Does anyone have experience of having a port fitted? 

Any tips on things to do before chemo starts, things I might need etc?

• Hi Sam2312

Sorry to hear that you have been diagnosed with grade 3 triple negative breast cancer.

Before going to the unit wear something loose fitting so that they can get at the port easily.  Bring a bottle of water with you in case you can't get one at the chemo unit and some sacks.  Also bring something to keep yourself occupied while you are having chemo as it can take a while particularly if you are having the cold capping to try and prevent hair loss.  

Wishing you the best of luck with your treatment and hopefully you won't have too many side effects.

Best wishes

Daisy53

Community Champion Badge

• I've decided against cold capping so hoping that the sessions will only take a couple of hours at most. I've got a couple of puzzle books and colouring books as I find these relax me. Do you think I can take headphones and something to watch a show on etc? 

• Hi Sam2312

You can take headphones and a tablet with you if you want to watch a show or listen to music while you are having treatment.

Daisy53

Community Champion Badge

• Take a big bag when you start cycle as you sometimes get medication to take. Take anything you want to pass the time. My nurses often say and talked with me, just chit chat and had music playing too. The PIC line was ok, glad to have it removed too. Good luck.