Experience of Charing Cross Hospital NHS for breast cancer treatment?

• 14 replies
  • 255 subscribers

Hi all

I had a mamo in October 2021 - all clear. I discovered a lump in my left breast in late April 2022 - seemed like it appeared out of the blue. I had ultra sound and core biopsy last week at St Marys, London. I've had the first part of my diagnosis - IDC grade 2 tumour located in upper inner quadrant 13mm and DCIS in left breast. I am still waiting for outstanding results on type of cancer and treatment plan at Charing Cross Hospital London on the NHS (I have no private cover). I would appreciate advice on what Charing Cross Hospital is  like for treatment and care as I am thinking of referring to RMH, London. If I decide to do so, does anyone know how easy it is to do this on the NHS? Thank you so much in advance for any advice/guidance G.

• Hi

i have tried twice to reply to you but my messages aren’t getting through to you.

I will try again later

x

• Apologies I'm new here so don't know how replies and the like work.

I had my last of 5 RT with DIBH at CX today after a WAE & sentinel node biopsy (June 7th) being diagnosed with Lobular BC grade 2.

The delay from diagnosis to surgery was long but the planning CT for RT and the bone densitometry happened quite quickly. Along with the RT.

Aromatase inhibitors are the NICE guideline treatment for BC so they will usually be offered/prescribed from what I can gather . 

Good luck on your passage through treatment and I hope all is well.

• Hi Exraygirl

My huge apologies I thought that I had replied to your last message. And I have tried to look for the last message and can't  find it. Can you believe it that I still don't know how to manage the message thread on this site : ) 

I wanted to say a huge Congratulations on your first year of cancer free existence! Onwards and upwards.

I started my RT this Thursday at CXH and I have three fractions left (of the total 5). I finish next Wednesday. After two fractions, my skin is sensitive and it has taken a couple of days to calm down. Thankfully I had the weekend to recover before I am back at it tomorrow.

I also decided to start the Letrozole a couple of weeks ago even though I will need to figure out the different side effects from both RT and Letrozole. I guess I just wanted to get on with the process of healing and getting rid of any rogue cancer cells. My menopause symptoms are harsh and I now find myself trying to ignore them as best I can. The nights are still disruptive with waking up at least 4/ 5 times, because of night sweats. I have chillow pillow and take sage drops. If you have other ideas, please share! Although no pains in joints/muscles yet. I had the dxa scan and cholesterol checked so now have bench marks for future testing.

Once Wednesday is out of the way, I hope to close this chapter and make a new start and find some new kind of normal. 

Just want to say thank you for responding to me and giving me very sound and very useful words of wisdom.

Wishing you well - always.

B x x 

Gillbg

• Hi Gillbg

No worries….. I think the site was playing up as I wrote twice to you and it didn’t show up.

I’m glad to hear your RT is going well and that you have nearly finished.

Re the sweats I find they are better if I avoid caffeine and alcohol and I’m also still doing the self acupuncture. I’ve also heard that evening primrose capsules help.

As I said before the first six months were the worst for me and things settled down a bit after that. Mind you some days I still feel about a hundred years old! I try and keep active.

You could try changing the time of day you take your letrazole to see if that helps.

Also do have a look at the Facebook group I mentioned. Not everyone on there has had breast cancer so you would have to be selective in what you choose to take and ask advice from your medics.

Onwards  and upwards.

Best wishes as always 

A x