Rash after mastectomy and reconstruction

• 3 replies
  • 270 subscribers

Hi,

I had a mastectomy and reconstruction 6 weeks ago and have now developed this red rash all over the breast. My consultant has started me on antibiotics and histamines, it’s day three and not improving. Has anyone had this problem before.

I am still awaiting my results from surgery 6 weeks ago, which is very stressful, I’m not sure if this is contributing.

Many thanks x

• The anti-histamins should have kicked in by now, at least partially, so I would alert the nurse to the fact that the meds are likely not doing what they are supposed to do. Seems the doctor is unsure if this is an infection (hence the antibiotics) or an allergic-type reaction (hence the anti-histamins) so chose to cover both, but it may be that a different type of antibiotics is needed. I am only guessing here, but one thing I am sure of is that I would report this back to the team and ask for feedback from the doctor.

Also, ask if you are allowed to apply anything to the skin to calm things down, such as vitamin E oil or calamine lotion (if needed.)

As for the long wait for results, I know the feeling. I always get told, "2 weeks" and it always takes longer, in one case 7 weeks. Worth chasing, as there have been instances when a lab "forgot" to report back, etc. I'd ask the nurse about it and ask her to chase it up for you.

• Hey,i know this post was long time ago,but maybe anyone will help me.I hade Dmx with implant reconstruction 3 weeks ago and i have red rash with white heads inside over my breast,still didn't see my surgeon but i am very worry.

• Hi Andzi

I suggest that you contact your breast care nurse if you haven't already and they should be able to help you.

Best wishes

Daisy53

Community Champion Badge