Grade 3 triple negative

• 35 replies
  • 258 subscribers

Hi I’ve just been diagnosed and wondered if anyone on here has the same as me? They said it’s grade 3 triple negative whatever the hell that means?! I am booked in for a lumpectomy and dual technique SNLB on 19th. Pretty clueless so any advice would be much appreciated! 

• Hi 

I too was diagnosed with grade 3 triple negative. I had cancers on both breasts and in the end had a bilateral mastectomy with immediate reconstruction.  I had my operation first and then had chemo.  This started approx 9 weeks after my op.  Luckily my lymph nodes were clear.  Like the other ladies have said, triple negative means that the cancer is not oestrogen and progesterone positive and also not her2 positive.  Usually as far as I am aware people with triple negative will be offered chemo as the other hormone treatments will be of no use.  My diagnosis was in Nov 2020, operation Jan 2021. My chemo consisted of 3 xEc and then 12 weekly Paclitaxel.  Although it seemed very daunting at first, chemo is very doable.  When I moved onto the weekly Paclitaxel I had less side effects and did have more energy.  Aa others have said keep off Dr Google! Keep positive,  we're all in this together 

Take care

Claire x

• Covid was another reason I didn’t work because I didn’t want to miss any appointments and delay surgery.  I didn’t cope very well with the waiting! I’d say if you can have time off and stay safe before your operation it would be best. I didn’t start chemotherapy until about 12 weeks after lumpectomy and if you were to catch it during this interval it wouldn’t be so critical.  

• So there is a big gap before treatment starts then. I thought it would be soon after the op, Thank you so much for sharing your story. Good luck on your journey x

• Yeah the waiting is doing my head in! Ok thanks for sharing your story. This forum is so helpful! x

• I was told before my op that chemo would start 6/7 weeks after my operation.  My surgery pathology results were delayed, I initially had an appointment for 2 weeks after my operation but I didn't get them until 3.5 weeks after. I think delays were due to covid as this was last January . Hopefully yours won't be as long

Claire xxx

• Hi Cereza, I have a different BC cancer to you but do also work in a school. Most school workers are signed off throughout chemo because of the infection risk, occasionally you come across someone whose carried on working but it’s not usually advised. Personally I couldn’t have done my job (LSA) whilst taking chemo, I just wasn’t well enough most days even if I coped with pottering about the house. I’m having surgery on the 20th and was advised to take my daughter out of school until then. As you know schools are rife with all sorts! All the best x

• Thanks for your reply and good luck with your surgery on the 20th. I just like to plan and know what’s what but I’m gathering I’m going to have to just take this day by day x

• Hi Cereza,  I’m also stage 1 grade 3 triple negative,  I had my lumpectomy in November with SLN removal, that has now all healed nicely,  I’m just about to start my chemotherapy, it started last week but that’s a different story!  I too found it all a bit overwhelming at the beginning, it does get easier as treatment goes on, don’t be afraid to ask lots of questions and get them to explain again if you don’t understand anything.  I haven’t been to work since I went in for my operation, I also work in a school, in the kitchen, the nurses told me to avoid school as very high risk for germs, also the kitchen is quite physical work so wouldn’t be able to lift anything any way.  So I’m embracing the time off.

xx

• Thank you for your reply! I was panicking because my lumpectomy is next Wed and I haven’t received any letters or anything with any information. I called today and they said I have a pre-assessment today at 12!!! Good job I rang! What does the pre-assessment involve? Any tips or advice for before and after the lumpectomy? Thanks x