Recently diagnosed

• 4 replies
  • 484 subscribers

Hi. I’m new to this forum. I was diagnosed with Grade 2 invasive breast cancer a few weeks ago. I originally found a lump in my right breast and was sent to the hospital for a mammogram and ultrasound. I was informed on the day that it was a cyst and that I needn’t worry. I then received a letter to attend the hospital again and I was told that after reviewing the images from my last tests, they would like to take a closer look at my left breast. I had another mammogram and another ultrasound and the nurse told me that they were concerned about two areas in my left breast. I had some core biopsies taken on that day too. just over a week later, I was given the news that the biopsy results showed that I had stage 2 invasive ductal carcinoma. The news came as a terrible shock. I have since had an MRI and a 3D mammogram and I am now waiting for an appointment with the consultant. I have already been told that the lumps in my left breast are around 7mm in size. I am not sure what the way forward will be. 
I feel anxious and quite stressed currently. Some days I feel ok and other days I feel very upset and my mind seems to be on overdrive with it all. 

• Hi, I haven recently been for my referral appointment and had 3 mammograms ultrasound and core biopsies and still waiting for results although by the look on their faces I don’t think it will be good news. They thought it was a cyst at first but had very weird insides and said they were worried.Have an appointment booked for the 17th oct even without biopsy results. Hope your ok and if you need someone to chat to I’m hear. 

• Hi Claire722, 

I had a lumpectomy some months ago and lymph nodes removed, I  finished my radiotherapy a few weeks ago and am now taking one day at a time. It is a shock when you are told and it is important you take a bit of time to let it register and sink in. The strides made in modern cancer medicine these days is amazing and they can do so much for you. However, there is so much you can do for yourself too.

You have made the first big step by finding the Macmillan site, also do visit your nearest Macmillan centre, a list is on here, or ring them on 0808 808 0000, they are superbly helpful and give you lots of great info, do walks, talks, help with benefits, bills, open 10-4 Mon-Fri for coffee and chat and lots more. Please also get a good support structure in place, family, friends, good work colleagues, I’ve lived on my own for nigh on forty years, but realised you can’t do this on your own. I also go for a short walk every day (British weather permitting) and do a daily diary, this is mega helpful, as it gets everything off your chest and out of your system. It is important during the day to keep yourself occupied, hobbies, interests etc., it stops you from dwelling on what is going on. You may also find it beneficial to listen to a meditation podcast, they really help you to relax especially when you are trying to get to sleep. I use one called ‘Go Gently’ by Christine Elizabeth Smith, it does a lot for me. Whatever you do, do not visit Dr Google as there is so much conflicting information, your head will spin and it will stress you out, listen to your medical team and ask you’re breast cancer nurse as many questions as you like, also you get great support on here.

I know it’s hard sometimes, but try and keep as positive as you possibly can, have positive people around you and dump the negativity, above all, be kind to yourself - I promise you, you will get through this. You are never alone and can always come and chat to us shower in here.

Keeping fingers and everything crossed for you and wish you loads of luck.

Take care and big hugs.xxx

• Hi Referralhelp,

I had a lumpectomy some months ago and lymph nodes removed, I  finished my radiotherapy a few weeks ago and am now taking one day at a time. Please don’t automatically think it’s bad news, hopefully everything will be okay, but if it’s the worse case scenario than what I would say, is that it is a shock when you are told and it is important you take a bit of time to let it register and sink in. The strides made in modern cancer medicine these days is amazing and they can do so much for you. However, there is so much you can do for yourself too.

You have made the first big step by finding the Macmillan site, also do visit your nearest Macmillan centre, a list is on here, or ring them on 0808 808 0000, they are superbly helpful and give you lots of great info, do walks, talks, help with benefits, bills, open 10-4 Mon-Fri for coffee and chat and lots more. Please also get a good support structure in place, family, friends, good work colleagues, I’ve lived on my own for nigh on forty years, but realised you can’t do this on your own. I also go for a short walk every day (British weather permitting) and do a daily diary, this is mega helpful, as it gets everything off your chest and out of your system. It is important during the day to keep yourself occupied, hobbies, interests etc., it stops you from dwelling on what is going on. You may also find it beneficial to listen to a meditation podcast, they really help you to relax especially when you are trying to get to sleep. I use one called ‘Go Gently’ by Christine Elizabeth Smith, it does a lot for me. Whatever you do, do not visit Dr Google as there is so much conflicting information, your head will spin and it will stress you out, listen to your medical team and you get great support on here.

I know it’s hard sometimes, but try and keep as positive as you possibly can, have positive people around you and dump the negativity, above all, be kind to yourself - I promise you, you will get through this. You are never alone and can always come and chat to us shower in here.

Keeping fingers and everything crossed for you.

Take care and big hugs.xxx

• How soon after the lumpectomy did you start radiotherapy? Have you had any side effects from it?