Right axillary node clearance

• 5 replies
  • 481 subscribers

Thankyou so much for allowing me to this group ! This is my first time posting ! I am an active 64 year old !

I had Right axillary node clearance on the 7th August 2024 after finding cancer associated with breast cancer 18 years ago ( which resulted in mastectomy and reconstruction) were my scar is under my arm it’s still lumpy and swollen after 5 weeks ! Most of the swelling went down by week 3 ! The scar is dry and not hot so I don’t think it’s infected ! Is this normal ! I’m seeing oncologist on Tuesday to discuss chemo ! I have to have radio therapy then hormone blocking tablets and bone infusions ! I thought I’d had my share of cancer 18 years ago but cancer had other ideas ! I have really bad anxiety every time I see any medical professions and I’m already getting scared for Tuesday !

• Hi Sweatpen,

Whilst I had a lumpectomy and not mastectomy I know everyone heals at different times. It may just be taking its time to heal. If it's not hor or painful hopefully it's just the healing process.

Cancer has a mind of it's own and our anxiety goes wild whilst waiting for results answers and treatment plans.

I too am having chemo just now to be followed by radiotherapy and hormone suppressants.

You overcame cancer once so you have the strength to do it again. Once you have a clear treatment plan hopefully some of your anxiety will ease.

Please use the macmillan nurses and cancer care they are great supports as well as this forum. 

I wish you well with your recovery xx

• Thankyou so much missy molly ! I hope your feeling ok with your chemo lots of love to you 

• Hi, the anxiety is horrid isn’t it? I’m about your age, and had a mastectomy and axillary clearance. I think it took a good three weeks for it to start healing, and I was told by my surgeon that 6 weeks healing time was the norm. That’s why we have to wait before having radiotherapy. Hormone therapy and bone infusions are very common nowadays. I think when you were first diagnosed, they didn’t know about the benefit of bisphosphonates (but I could be wrong). But that doesn’t take away the anxieties. As MissyMolly said, you will find the strength. This site is very supportive too. Xx

• I saw my oncologist yesterday and I feel so much more positive ! My scar wasn’t infected and was normal ! I start my chemo in 3 weeks so I now have a plan !! I think the unknown is hard ! Thankyou both for reassuring me xx

• Hi Sweatpen,

I am doing good now thank you. Last chemo on Friday providing bloods okay pucc line will be removed and I will get to ring the bell Bell yah then onto radiotherapy which won't have as many side effects as the chemo so might get a bit of myself back.

Good luck with your treatment plan xx