New here

• 3 replies
  • 481 subscribers

Hi  I had been  considering booking a mammogram, mainly because my husbands late wife died after leaving breast cancer because of reasons best known to herself. Instead I had an ultrasound to look at my haitus hernia and that showed a lesion on my right breast.

I was fast tracked through and had investigations, the consultant said although he couldn't feel a lump these showed there was something and they would see me again in clinic soon, My appointment was brought forward and I was told I had dumbell shaped lump. Everyone was very supportive in the clinic and they explained what treatment I would be offered, a lumpectomy, radiotherapy and letrozole. I now had these and am taking the tablets, it was necessary to take 2 lymph nodes as well during the operation.

Up until now, I now been thinking about my mortality and possible recurrence of the cancer or secondary cancer, there was micro metastasis in my lymph nodes, then there is my age, my brother had bowel cancer and died 12 years ago at 60. I think I felt confident in the beginning and several people have told me about their experiences, which have been positive, I now think if they hadn't been they wouldn't be here to rell me, thats what is missing.

• HiSusie93, 

Welcome to the forum. Like yourself I have breast cancer. I've had lumpectomy and removal of sentinels. I am now having chemotherapy then will have radiotherapy followed by letrozole and bone infusions.

Treatments have advanced greatly since your husbands late wife and your brothers diagnosis.

Take one step at a time. Be kind to yourself and make use of the macmillan nurses and cancer care as well as the support of this site.

I wish you wellin your recovery xx

• Hi Susie93

You should be given a yearly mammogram on or near the anniversary of your operation.

Best wishes

Daisy53

Community Champion Badge

• Hi Missymolly

Thanks for your reply, I have had bone density scan to see if there is osteoporosis, I expect to hear the results on my next appointment and maybe I will get more medication to take.

I have my medications in a dossit pack delivered to me each month.I have a number of conditions, bi polar,underactive thyroid, haitus hernia, IBS, high cholesterol, anaemia and a few low vitamin areas.

I am glad to have responses to my New Here and. I look forward to participating further