New Here

• 2 replies
  • 482 subscribers

Hi

Just joined this forum.

Was diagnosed with breast cancer in jul 24, told it was non-aggressive, grade 2.   Had a lumpectomy Aug 24, went back for results which started off the good news is its not in the lymph nodes, however on excision the lumps had nodules on them to the surgeon took an extra wide margin and even doing that there were still pre-cancerous cells and it was now a Grade 3 aggressive cancer.

I was rail roaded into agreeing to another lumpectomy and if that still had pre-cancerous cells then they would do a mastectomy.

I went through an emotional roller coaster from the monday to yhe thursday and made the decision that i didn't want to keep having bits of my breast cut away on the off chance that the margins may be clear, instead i wanted a mastectomy this was my initial thought on hearing the news and this was non-negotiable.  My body my decision.  Going bsck to see the consultant on Tuesday to discuss.

• Hi Weezilou,

I had a lumpectomy four months ago and lymph nodes removed, I  finished my radiotherapy a few weeks ago and have recently been told I am clear. It is a shock when you are told and it is important you take a bit of time to let it register and sink in. I know mine is somewhat different to yours, but the strides made in modern cancer medicine these days are amazing, however, there is so much you can do for yourself too.

You have made the first big step by finding the Macmillan site, also do visit your nearest Macmillan centre, a list is on here, or ring them on 0808 808 0000, they are superbly helpful and give you lots of great info, do walks, talks, help with benefits, bills, open 10-4 Mon-Fri for coffee and chat and lots more. Please also get a good support structure in place, family, friends, good work colleagues, I’ve lived on my own for nigh on forty years, but realised you can’t do this on your own. I also go for a short walk every day (British weather permitting) and do a daily diary, this is mega helpful, as it gets everything off your chest and out of your system. It is important during the day to keep yourself occupied, hobbies, interests etc., it stops you from dwelling on what is going on. You may also find it beneficial to listen to a meditation podcast, they really help you to relax especially when you are trying to get to sleep. I use one called ‘Go Gently’ by Christine Elizabeth Smith, it does a lot for me. Whatever you do, do not visit Dr Google as there is so much conflicting information, your head will spin and it will stress you out, listen to your medical team and ask your breast cancer nurse as many questions as you want - also, you get great support on here.

I applaud you for making the decision to do what is right for you, that can’t have been easy and I do hope and pray all goes well for you. Take one day at a time and don’t be afraid to ask for help, there’s no shame in reaching out.

I know it’s hard sometimes, but try and keep as positive as you possibly can, have positive people around you and dump the negativity, above all, be kind to yourself - I promise you, you will get through this. You are never alone and can always come and chat to us shower in here.

Keeping fingers and everything crossed for you.

Take care and big hugs.xxx

• Hi Weezilou,

I have grade 3 BC. I had lumpectomy now having chemo due to grade 3 to hopefully kill off any sleeping cells.

I will then have radiotherapy and hormone suppressants with bone infusions.

It's a mine field so many different cancers and treatments.

It is a worry between appointments and going for results.

Hopefully once you get a treatment plan which suits you you will feel more on control again.

You did the right thing joining the forum. Others will share their journeys which will help you with choices, decisions and support.

Also use the macmillan nurses and cancer care.

Good luck with your recovery xx