New here - just diagnosed

• 6 replies
  • 481 subscribers

Hi - I’m new to the forum & was diagnosed with bilateral breast cancer last Friday. I have been through such a rollercoaster of emotions since then, worrying about surgery, treatment, work, money, my kids - I just don’t seem to be able to take it in and have all kinds of questions. It’s like I expect someone to wake me up from a dream. I feel so scared and low. The consultant has told me that it is treatable and I’m trying to stay positive. I have 4 tumours - 2 in each breast.

• Hi StrawberryCat,

Sorry to hear of your recent diagnosis. I also have BC have had op and 3 cycles of chemo so far.

When first diagnosed and sometimes now your mind goes into overdrive. I've never known anxiety like it. Trying to process all this information is really difficult and without treatment plans the waits are difficult for us all.

I'm really sorry your feeling this way. Hopefully once processed and treatment plan in place you can focus on one step of Treatment at a time.

You've done the right thing reaching out here, please make use of macmillan nurses and cancer care supports also. They give lots of assurance and knowledge.

This forum is really supportive also. Happy to chat. I wish you well with your treatment plan xxx

• Hi Missymolly

Thank you so much for your reply - I’m hoping I will start to feel more positive when my treatment plan is discussed on Monday. I think being in a bit of a no man’s land until then is not helping. I will make use of my key worker and nurses - they have told me to ring even if I think it sounds stupid! I think it’s helpful to also hear that others experience the same feelings and anxieties xxx

• Hi StrawberryCat,

It's definitely not stupid. I couldn't eat sleep or even say the word cancer to begin with. 

Even though my consultant told me it was treatable I just cried and cried every time I thought about it.

Every emotion you are experiencing is what we all went through and still do when waiting for results. 

Please be kind to yourself, easy said I know, but you will feel better once you have your plan and start treatments. You will then have some control back.

Medication and research have moved on greatly with better outcomes for breast cancer now.

I wish you well and happy to answer any questions I can regarding my journey so far if it helps. Xx

• Hi StrawberryCat,

I had a lumpectomy four months ago and lymph nodes removed, I  finished my radiotherapy a few weeks ago and have recently been told I am clear. It is a shock when you are told and it is important you take a bit of time to let it register and sink in. The strides made in modern cancer medicine these days is amazing and they can do so much for you. However, there is so much you can do for yourself too.

You have made the first big step by finding the Macmillan site, also do visit your nearest Macmillan centre, a list is on here, or ring them on 0808 808 0000, they are superbly helpful and give you lots of great info, do walks, talks, help with benefits, bills, open 10-4 Mon-Fri for coffee and chat and lots more. Please also get a good support structure in place, family, friends, good work colleagues, I’ve lived on my own for nigh on forty years, but realised you can’t do this on your own. I also go for a short walk every day (British weather permitting) and do a daily diary, this is mega helpful, as it gets everything off your chest and out of your system. It is important during the day to keep yourself occupied, hobbies, interests etc., it stops you from dwelling on what is going on. You may also find it beneficial to listen to a meditation podcast, they really help you to relax especially when you are trying to get to sleep. I use one called ‘Go Gently’ by Christine Elizabeth Smith, it does a lot for me. Whatever you do, do not visit Dr Google as there is so much conflicting information, your head will spin and it will stress you out, listen to your medical team and ask your Breast Cancer Nurse as many questions as you like, mine still ring me regularly - also, you get great support on.

I’m not sure how old you’re kids are, but if they are young just tell them Mummy is a bit poorly and the Doctor is going to make her better, that’s all they would understand anyway,. If they are older, it would be best to sit them down in a quiet room and explain things, if you don’t and they find out from someone else, then they might be more upset.

I know it’s hard sometimes, but try and keep as positive as you possibly can, have positive people around you and dump the negativity, above all, be kind to yourself - I promise you, you will get through this. You are never alone and can always come and chat to us shower in here.

Keeping fingers and everything crossed for you.

Take care and big hugs.xxx

• Thank you so much - that’s all really good advice. I think it’s such early days and I don’t think I’m used to taking things one step at a time! My thoughts and worries are just going off in all different directions and I don’t want to feel selfish by concentrating on me. I have already bought a notebook as I thought getting my thoughts down on paper would be good for me. I guess starting to accept help and support is a major first step xxx

• Hi StrawberryCat

I'm so sorry that you find yourself here. Like you I have recently been diagnosed and find everything so scary. My anxiety went through the roof with no sleep, unable to eat and feeling internally very shaky. I'm now signed off work and have been given anti-anxiety meds by my GP, which are helping.

I find this site very useful and the ladies here are all so supportive. I also had a great chat with my breast care nurse yesterday who made me feel less bewildered and overwhelmed.

Please give yourself time. It's a lot to take in right now and the impulse to learn and research everything can take over. Everyone tells me to take one step at a time and that's what I'm trying to do, even though it's difficult.

Good luck with everything and remember what your consultant said - it's treatable.

Big hugs xx