Breast cancer post mastectomy

• 1 reply
  • 482 subscribers

I had a breast removed in January this year followed by removal of some lymph nodes in May. Shortly afterwards I started getting a very itchy back, not really helped by copious amounts of moisturiser. Then I had shingles which has now thankfully cleared but the itchiness remains. I also get a ‘fizzing’ sensation down my left thigh when lying down at night. 
Now having radiotherapy and will have to go back on chemotherapy- again - when that’s finished. 
is the itching and fizzing normal? has anyone else had this experience? Feel as if I’m making a fuss as others are far worse than me but just want to know if it’s just happening to me.

Sorry to be a bit feeble.

• Hello, 

I hope that you do not mind me replying as my cancer was endometrial but by doing so it will bump your post. Hopefully someone who has experienced similar will see it and respond. 

I am sorry to hear of your breast cancer and subsequent mastectomy. 

Have you spoken to your team about the itchiness? When I had chemo my skin did become really dry and irritated. I was given a mild steroid cream and a moisturising cream that helped. For me it needed the steroid cream first to get in under control. 

With the fizzing sensation- it sounds a bit like the neuropathy symptoms I had due to chemo and again it is something to mention to your team. For me it meant an adjustment to the chemo doses. 

i also wonder if any of it is connected to the shingles as that can also cause nerve irritation. I had shingles years ago and can remember a sort of shooting/itchy pain along the path of the nerve. It did settle after a while. 

You are not being feeble- and it's not making a fuss. You are having active cancer treatment and both chemo and radiotherapy, in my experience can through up a lot of strange/unexpected symptoms. Most of them can be managed with medication or creams. Do speak up and get some reassurance. 

I expect you were given a 24 hour cancer help line card to call when you started the chemo? I rang mine several times and they never minded. Often just being told something was to be expected and it would pass really helped. There is also the Macmillan Support Line where you can ask questions or chat things through.

I hope the itchiness settles and the rest of your treatment goes well.

Jane

Macmillan Support Line - 0808 808 00 00, 7 days a week between 8am-8pm