Breast cancer

• 5 replies
  • 482 subscribers

We are reeling from my mother’s diagnosis. She is fitter than me at aged 77 with no family history of breast cancer. She found a lump under her left breast 7 weeks ago . We are told it’s stage 3 and will need either chemotherapy and surgery or surgery then chemotherapy. My mother is worried about losing her hair because everyone will know. I’m finding all the jargon very difficult to understand. She had her MRI scan yesterday and waiting to get an oncology appointment. We are just so in the dark of what this entails . My mother lives 3 hours from me but has been with me since the diagnosis but a lot of travelling to and fro from appointments now probably? Is chemotherapy weekly, daily, is it individual? Does she have to have it ? Very scary 

• Hi Hel263,

Sorry to hear about your mum's diagnosis but good she has your family support.

The treatment is very individual. Some people have chemo first I think depending on size if tumour.

I had op first and now having chemotherapy before radiotherapy. If uou contact your mums breast care nurse or consultant they will explain the treatment plan and the rational behind it.

Loosing your hair for me was not a traumatic as I thought. Wigs are brilliant now. 

The jargon is a lot I don't understand some of it but if you ask the BC nurse she will explain it all.

Also make use of the macmillan nurses and cancer care they are also a great support.

I wish your mum well in her recovery.

Xx

• Thank you for responding especially whilst going through chemotherapy. Do hope you are having lots of support. I’m beginning to realise how essential this is.

• Hi hel263

Support is a big part of recovery. It can be a lonely scary journey. It's helpful to have someone to explain everything. 

It's also helpful to have someone you can just vent to let of steam, cry, scream.

I hope your mum gets all the support needed. You also can use the cancer care services to support you xx

• Hi Hel263, I remember when I was first disgnosed, it was a scary time and I really hadn't a clue, the whole thing was new to me.  The good news is that you've found this forum and there's a lot of information we can help with.

I'd start with this link Breast Cancer Info Link which gives you the basics.  It's better to use reputable sites like Macmillan and everyone will tell you to avoid Dr Google!  Once you've had a look at the breast cancer link you can find more information that might be of interest.

The lovely folks here at Macmillan also run a helpline, for your mum and also for family members. You can call them on 0800 808 0000 to chat through any concerns or ask anything you’re unsure of.

Hope that helps for now, good to you and your mum as you move through this time, best wishes 

Community Champion badge

• Thank you will look at this link. The macmillan team have explained a great deal to us succinctly today. Very grateful for your response