Breast clinic

• 3 replies
  • 483 subscribers

So following my referral from the GP on the 14th of Aug i got a phone call on fri for my breast clinic app on 10th Sept. I know this is quick comparred to the wait some people have for some services but it feels forever and the thought i have something danferous growing in me every day terrifies me. 

I have told my husband but nit telling anyone else until we actually have something to tell. Im worried sick and barely sleeping. Its ok to put to the back of my head during the days but night rtme is another story 

• Hi Tinarobin,

The wairs are the worst. But you've don't the best thing reaching out to others.

I was wracked with anxiety. Still am when waiting for results.

I have her2neg er/pr positive. Mine was grade 3 so having 4 rounds of chemo to kill of ant sleeping cells. I've had my lumpectomy and sentinels removed. I was glad when they cut it out me. I will go one to have radiotherapy and hormone suppressants.

I find this page helpful for all the information and support. Lots of people at different stages with different experiences. 

Treatment has moved on leaps and bounds. Try to be kind to yourself. I know it's easier said that done. It's not a nice journey but good you've shared with your husband.

I will keep my fingers crossed Fingers crossed your results are favourable. Use the macmillan nurses and cancer care for support also. It's a journey none of us wish to take.

Wishing you all the best xx

• Can only echo what Missymolly has said - the waiting is the hardest part. I was a complete wreck from the point of referral up to receiving my diagnosis - since then I've been pretty chilled out really, I have highs and lows but overall I've been ok. I think it's the uncertainty that causes such anxiety, it's like as soon as I knew what I was up against and what the treatment plan was my autopilot just kicked in. 

If you are struggling do speak to the nurses here or your GP, the GP may be able to give you something to help get you through - not sleeping will certainly be having an impact on you. Best of luck and I hope things settle for you soon xx

• Hi Tinarobin,

I had a lumpectomy four months ago and lymph nodes removed, I  finished my radiotherapy a few weeks ago and have recently been told I am clear. It is a shock when you are told and it is important you take a bit of time to let it register and sink in. The strides made in modern cancer medicine these days is amazing and they can do so much for you. However, there is so much you can do for yourself too.

You have made the first big step by finding the Macmillan site, also do visit your nearest Macmillan centre, a list is on here, or ring them on 0808 808 0000, they are superbly helpful and give you lots of great info, do walks, talks, help with benefits, bills, open 10-4 Mon-Fri for coffee and chat and lots more. Please also get a good support structure in place, family, friends, good work colleagues, I’ve lived on my own for nigh on forty years, but realised you can’t do this on your own. It’s good that you’ve told your husband and it’s fine if you want to wait until the results before you tell anyone else.

I also go for a short walk every day (British weather permitting) and do a daily diary, this is mega helpful, as it gets everything off your chest and out of your system. It is important during the day to keep yourself occupied, hobbies, interests etc., it stops you from dwelling on what is going on. If you have problems relaxing or sleeping, I put some hot water in a bowl and add a few drops of lavender oil, then place it in the living room/bedroom area, it really helps. You may also find it beneficial to listen to a meditation podcast, they really help you to relax especially when you are trying to get to sleep. I use one called ‘Go Gently’ by Christine Elizabeth Smith, it does a lot for me. Whatever you do, do not visit Dr Google as there is so much conflicting information, your head will spin and it will stress you out, listen to your medical team and you get great support on here.

I know it’s hard sometimes, but try and keep as positive as you possibly can, have positive people around you, dump the negativity and let go of the stress as it does you no good, above all, be kind to yourself - I promise you, you will get through this. You are never alone and can always come and chat to us shower in here.

Keeping fingers and everything crossed for you.

Take care and big hugs.xxx