Hello

• 8 replies
  • 482 subscribers

Hi 

I’m Em. Im 39 mum of 2. Diagnosed last Monday with Breast cancer. I’ve been told it’s treatable and curable. Chemo starts 30 august. It’s been a whirlwind of a week/10 days from the “just in case referral” from my gp to diagnosis and further tests. 

it’s just in the boob. Which is positive. And whilst chemo is no doubt not going to be a fun time and my hair may fall out I’ll get through it. Then onto mastectomy. And then radiation and hormone therapy. 

I’ll be 40 in 6 weeks… 

x

• Hi Em,

Welcome to the forum. Glad you have your treatment plan. 

I have had a lumpectomy and removal of sentinels nodes in June. I'm on my 3rd cycle of 4 chemotherapy. It's doable a bit tired and some gastric discomfort. Hair has fallen out but wigs now are brilliant. The amount of people I have met and didn't know I had lost my hair is encouraging.

I have one more cycle next month then onto radiotherapy and hormone suppressants.

My chemotherapy is preventative to catch any sleeping cells. Like you my tumour was in my boob, and nodes and margins were clear. But due to grade 3 and hormone related it's possible to return hence the need for the hormone suppressants.

I will take all treatments if it means still being here for as long as I can with my family.

Good luck on your recovery. It is a whirlwind of appointments and treatments.

Please use this forum and cancer care for support and reassurance. It's helpful also to read others journeys who are ahead of us on their recovery xx

• Hi Ems84,

I had a lumpectomy four months ago and lymph nodes removed, I  finished my radiotherapy a few weeks ago and have recently been told I am clear. It is a shock when you are told and it is important you take a bit of time to let it register and sink in. Although mine was slightly different to yours, the strides made in modern cancer medicine these days are amazing and they can do so much for you. However, there is so much you can do for yourself too.

You have made the first big step by finding the Macmillan site, also do visit your nearest Macmillan centre, a list is on here, or ring them on 0808 808 0000, they are superbly helpful and give you lots of great info, do walks, talks, help with benefits, bills, open 10-4 Mon-Fri for coffee and chat and lots more. Please also get a good support structure in place, family, friends, good work colleagues, I’ve lived on my own for nigh on forty years, but realised you can’t do this on your own. I also go for a short walk every day (British weather permitting) and do a daily diary, this is mega helpful, as it gets everything off your chest and out of your system. It is important during the day to keep yourself occupied, hobbies, interests etc., it stops you from dwelling on what is going on. You may also find it beneficial to listen to a meditation podcast, they really help you to relax especially when you are trying to get to sleep. I use one called ‘Go Gently’ by Christine Elizabeth Smith, it does a lot for me. Whatever you do, do not visit Dr Google as there is so much conflicting information, your head will spin and it will stress you out, listen to your medical team and you get great support on here.

As for your 40th birthday, celebrate and have as much of a blast as you can with family and friends. It will take your mind off things and will be good for once to just say ahh f**k it and to forget about it all for a while.

I know it’s hard sometimes, but try and keep as positive as you possibly can, have positive people around you and dump the negativity, above all, be kind to yourself - I promise you, you will get through this. You are never alone and can always come and chat to us shower in here.

Keeping fingers and everything crossed for you

Take care and big hugs.xxx

• Thank you so much. 

it was an absolute shock. I only went to my go because I needed to go for something else and my boob hurt after I got myself stuck in my sports bra and twanged it against boobs while getting myself untangled. It hurt more than normal. My gp sent me for the “just in case” referral. I am so grateful for her. 

I’ve just started journaling it’s something I’m not used to but find it helps. Just putting pen to paper and letting the words tumble out onto the page. 

im lucky in that I’m in jersey and the beaches are glorious. So I’m getting out and about as much as I can. I ride too so am trying to keep as “normal” as possible. But dialling it back when I need to. Routine and normality are key for me. 

my kids are little. And I’ve told them what they need to know. Mummy is poorly and needs medicine to get better. That’s as much as they need to understand. We have an amazing support network around us. We are very lucky. 

I’m holding onto the hope that my hair is the thickest of the thick. It’s unruly and has a freaking mind of its own. So it may buck the trend and not decide to leave me. It’s never behaved how it should before so why start now?! Even if half falls out I’ll still have more hair than the average person. 

have bought some soft beany hats though just in case. 

im upbeat and positive. Which according to my mother is the wrong way to go about this. Not sure what the right way is in her eyes but I need fun and laughs and positivity and normality. I’m not a moper. I will have down days for sure. But hopefully these are short lived. 

xx 

• Hi there,

I think you are doing absolutely the right thing, your little ones are so young and wouldn’t understand anyway, this way they can help Mummy in their own little way.

As for Mum, she still could be in shock or just have her own struggles finding it hard to accept. The way you are handling this is totally right, if you are miserable and keep dwelling on it, it will only get you really down. I’m sure she loves you, just give her time and she will come round.

Im so glad you’ve got great support, let us know how you get on and remember, we’re all in this together.

Here's to the Booby Brigade! xx

• Treatment one done today. I had my port fitted Wednesday. So that’s still a bit pokey but apparently healing really well. Hoorah! 

I tried the scalp cooling today. Very wierd sensation. 

I had a mini breakdown whilst drugs were going in. The nurse who saw me crying was so so lovely. He wrote me a note “are you ok?” I shook my head. He walked off and came back with tea biscuits and tissues and sat and held my hand for a bit. Told me it was ok if I was anxious and overwhelmed. “I’m not overwhelmed” I wailed. 

I think I was overwhelmed.

got home and sat on bed with my cat girl for a bit. She’s my protector usually and my supervisor. And now my nurse. 

I’ve had a cry. Had snacks. Kept up with the anti sick meds. Had some dinner. Less than I usually would but ate something. So that’s a plus. 

the nausea is icky. But treating it like pregnancy nausea seems to be helping. Salt and vinegar squares. Sea sick bands. Icy cold tonic water. Seems to keep it at bay. 

I feel exhausted overwhelmed and also completely wired at the same time. They said this might happen. So I’m not concerned about it. Just confused! Just pick one feeling please!!!! 

anyway. I did it. And am now 25% through the first treatment bit. 4 of these. Then we move to weekly. 

• Dear Em. So pleased you have join this forum, and able to write and express your feelings. My heart goes out to you so much to take on at such a young age, also a worrying time with little ones.

Take all the help offered from friends and family, also your breast cancer nurse should be there to advise you on what ever you need. Together with the MacMillan team

Wishing you, health and happiness going forward, with the biggest hugs from me, I always say one day at a time.

Tili x

• Thank you so much! 

if I’ve learned anything it’s to accept the help on offer. My family are nearby and the main ones (my sister and mum and dad) have keys to the house. They let themselves in and do things. They have instigated a “bring something and do something” while they’re here. Which is a massive help.

the kids go back to school next week. I’ve managed to move my treatment to school days so I’ll hopefully be more energised to be more present with them on the weekends. 

I have an in person meeting with my local macmillan team next week and am going to be seeing everything they have on offer for me and my family. 

one day at a time indeed. I’m aware there will be good days and bad days. Hopefully the good massively outweigh the bad. But I’m prepared for the bad. I have a ton of tv to watch. Movies in my list. And books to read. And sleep to catch up on. Two kids close together means sleep hasn’t been caught up on for ages! 

I’ve gotten very good at listening to my body. So just have to do that and every day at a time. 

tomorrow is a new day. 

• So sorry to hear your diagnosis at such a young age, you are young and sound a very strong woman with lots of support around you and you will get through it - it’s not the best experience but it is doable and you get through.

i just mentioned my dry nipple to GP went on my own to breast clinic Dr there thought it was nothing but did mammogram ultrasound and by time they did biopsies I knew something was wrong.

Stage 1 grade 2 her2-positive breast cancer. Had my chemo first with targeted therapy and then mastectomy. I live alone but my daughter has been my absolute rock.

i did loose my hair but it was not as traumatic as I thought and did wear a wig I am 76 and was told I looked fab.

My hair started to grow back quite quickly- it’s now about 2inches all over and have ditched the wig and gone for the Annie Lenox look Joy

I am now on letrozole for five years and Herceptin for 1 year.

just having problems with blood pressure and anxiety over it.

wishing you well on your journey and take good care of yourself X