Anastrozole

• 5 replies
  • 481 subscribers

Hi ,new to this forum.Started taking Anastrozole the beginning of August.For the past few days I have been experiencing terrible pain in my shoulders and arms and living off pain killers.Do these symptoms pass off and does your body get used to Anastrozole.

• Hi Janner,

I had a lumpectomy and lymph nodes removed four months ago, have recently finished my radiotherapy and have now been told I am clear - I am on Letrozole for five years.

It seems a lot of the cancer medications give you pain in your joints etc., they are renowned for kicking off osteoporosis and the suchlike. However, I have been taking vitamin D3 for quite a while, which is well known for helping the bones and my Oncologist said it was alright to continue this, I think this is why I have had very little pain. I was given a bone density scan (took a couple of mins and was easy) to check for anything and glad to say mine was clear.

I hope this has been of some help to you and please do contact your Breast Cancer Nurse, you can do this at anytime if you have problems, mine still contact me every few months.

Sending my best wishes and huge hugs.xxx

• Will definitely try the vitamin D

• Need to have comfortable movement as having radiotherapy in September.Thanks again for your advice x

• Hi, sorry to hear you are having pain. 

I took anastrolzole for over 2 years, the pain has got worse and worse effecting all my joints. Hands, feet, knees etc.

My oncologist has changed me to a different  AI, Exemestance. She said it may help reduce the pain. I will see how it goes.

My understanding is that the 3 main AI tend to have this side effect.

Best wishes with your next treatment x

• I will see how I go.Am now taking vitamin D3 to see if that helps.The pain really makes you feel low z