Getting the all clear

• 5 replies
  • 482 subscribers

Hi I was diagnosed in September with HER2 negative breast cancer, that was also found in my lymph nodes and after a full mastectomy, chemotherapy, and radiation therapy I asked my oncologist if there were any tests/ scans to see if the treatment has worked, unfortunately I am told that isn’t possible, but I here of people being told they are cancer free, is this something others have experienced.

• Hi Anna m,

I also had a full mastectomy, chemotherapy and radiotherapy, now on Letrozole and Abemaciclib. I asked my oncologist the exact same question and had the same answer as you. As far as I know, oncologists don't give you all clear especially during the first 5 years after your diagnose and treatment. The reason for that is that even after they have thrown everything at our cancers, some cancer cells might have remained in our bodies and at some point, even after many years, they might get active again. They also might not. Problem is nobody can predict what will happen and since it's just cells, there is no way for them to be detected or 'seen' on the various scans they use to diagnose cancer. The good news is that some doctors do consider you cancer free or cured if your cancer does not recur during the first 5 years after your initial diagnose, but even then some oncologists will say that your cancer is in complete remission, not cured. I am in the same situation as you and I admit that this is the worst part of the cancer post treatment. I do wish I could say something that sounds more reassuring, but unfortunately I can't. I was even thinking of asking about having a scan they would recommend as being most suitable for early cancer detection and privately finance it if not offered through NHS, but I decided to wait for a while. Please share your thoughts on that as well as any further information you might have regarding post cancer treatment checks! Stay positive! Big hug,

Lana xx

• Hi Anna m,

I had a lumpectomy about four months ago and lymph nodes removed, I finished my radiotherapy a few weeks ago and was recently informed I was clear. This was told to me by my Oncologist before my radiotherapy began, as they found another enlarged lymph node during the planning scan and therefore, had to cancel the original radiotherapy, Thankfully, everything came back clear and the radiotherapy went ahead.

I think Lana65 is absolutely right in what she says, but also think that the Doctors try to cover their own backs and that’s why they can’t commit, I would suggest you  keep in touch with your Breast Cancer Nurse, mine tell me to ring with any problems and also ring me too.

Please don’t stress yourself over this, I’m sure if there was something else they would have told you.

I wish you well with your recovery and future plans and send you love and big hugs.xxx

• Hi Lana thank you for your reply and sharing your experience, it is definitely a little clearer for me now, I did consider doing the same ( paying for a private scan) but if it is difficult to detect I don’t think it will give me peace of mind after all, I have just received my appointment for my yearly mammogram so the worry of breast cancer returning should be minimal, hope your doing ok , big hugs 

Anna M xx

• Thank you for your reply, it’s good to know  I am not the only one that has asked the question n not fully understood the answer, both yours and Lana’s comment ‘s have helped put my mind at ease, hope your doing okay, big hugs Anna M xxx

• Hi  , great replies already. I think the language used by the medics varies a lot. In my case I’ve never been told that I’m cancer free and really I don’t think anyone can say that for certain. I prefer myself to use the term ‘no evidence of disease’ as I feel that’s the most accurate description of my current situation. I’m thankful to be nearly 6 years on from my diagnosis. I share your wish to have a scan that would say for sure! I’m not sure I’ll ever stop worrying that mine might recur, but the surgeon I see after my annual mammogram uses ‘reduce the risk of recurrence’ to describe things like hormone therapy (which I’m still on - Anastrozole) as nothing can absolutely be sure to prevent it. I don’t really discuss it much outside this forum as I’m sure friends and even family tend to think it’s all done and dusted now! Luckily I do have a close friend who’s also had my type of cancer and I also go to an exercise class weekly for anyone who’s had cancer where we chat over coffee afterwards. We talk about all sorts, mainly not cancer related, but it does feel like a place where these conversations can take place comfortably. Thanks for raising it. Love and hugs, HFxx 

HappyFeet1 xx
    Don’t be afraid to cry. It will free your mind of sorrowful thoughts. – Hopi