General query.

• 3 replies
  • 481 subscribers

Hi all. I was diagnosed with Breast Cancer originally about 16yrs ago. At that time I had a partial mastectomy, all lymph nodes removed from  my armpit and arm, chemotherapy and radiotherapy, followed by hormone therapy. I was fine for a ten years but unfortunately the cancer came back in 2019, this time it was stage 4 metastatic breast cancer that had spread to my lungs and ribs. Initially I was given 3-5yrs life expectancy and was put on I range (palbociclib) and letrazole. Just wondered if anyone else is on the same regime, and if so for how. My bloods are usually ok and within acceptable parameters, and my CT scans mostly record as stable. To be honest I feel a bit of a fraud because everyone always says how well I look and I do sometimes get joke comments like ‘still going then’. 

• Hi Shelby, I’m not in your situation but I had to say, you are not a fraud!! There is a forum for those with secondary breast cancer on here and you may find more people who can share their experiences with you. People make ridiculous jokes to hide their own discomfort but I do wish they wouldn’t. All the best to you and I hope someone more qualified than me can come on and share experiences with you xx

• Most of my friends have been happy and  surprised at how well I look (I’m surprised and pleased too ). 

A very few have said “you look well, I thought you’d look ill” in quite an accusatory tone. I’ve decided not to see them for a while (or at all).

Coincidentally(?)  they’re the ones I avoided telling for several months because I knew they would insist  on knowing every little detail. I decided not to share much info as I want to talk about other things not rehash what I already know and certainly not to have long discussions starting “have you tried?”, “have you read about the side effects?”, “you should see X”, “my friend had that and…”

Focus on you. Don’t feel a fraud. Good luck.