Pain

• 6 replies
  • 482 subscribers

New to group, had op for DCIS grade 3 had lymph removed as was in one gland. Still quite tender pain each day. Waiting on physio appointment for shoulder stiffness etc.  I also have fibromyalgia which doesn’t help. Should I still have so much pain? 

• Hi Tilly Mint,

I had a lumpectomy nearly four months ago and lymph nodes removed, I finished my radiotherapy last week. It is perfectly normal for you to have pain and discomfort after your operation, this can last a few weeks, but that depends on the individual. However, with you having fibromyalgia it might be a little different, please talk to your Doctor or Breast Cancer Nurse about this, they should be able to tell you what is best for you. I was given arm exercises to do from the day after the operation, which were really helpful and help with shoulder stiffness, chording and lymphoedema, I also have to do them for up to four months after the radiotherapy.

You have made the first big step by finding the Macmillan site, also do visit your nearest Macmillan centre, a list is on here, or ring them on 0808 808 0000, they are superbly helpful and give you lots of great info, do walks, talks and lots more. Please also get a good support structure in place, family, friends, good work colleagues, I’ve lived on my own for nigh on forty years, but realised you can’t do this on your own. I also go for a short walk every day (British weather permitting) and do a daily diary, this is mega helpful, as it gets everything off your chest and out of your system. It is important during the day to keep yourself occupied, hobbies, interests etc., it stops you from dwelling on what is going on. You may also find it beneficial to listen to a meditation podcast, they really help you to relax especially when you are trying to get to sleep. I use one called ‘Go Gently’ by Christine Elizabeth Smith, it does a lot for me. Whatever you do, do not visit Dr Google as there is so much conflicting information, your head will spin and it will stress you out, listen to your medical team and you get great support on here.

I know it’s hard sometimes, but try and keep as positive as you possibly can, have positive people around you and dump the negativity, above all, be kind to yourself - I promise you, you will get through this. You are never alone and can always come and chat to us shower in here.

Take care and big hugs.xx

• Good Morning Boobybabe2

Thank you for your kind reply. I am fortunate and have a good network around me of friends and family. I am just struggling with this on going boob pain. I have spoken to oncology and nurse they may refer me to Late effects clinic.  I guess the pain thing is playing with my mind, fear of recurrence is always an issue with many of us, I am sure. 
    I had my op late January, so I had expected to be feeling better than this. I work two days remotely which keeps me sane, I have had lots of family stress and grief during recovery which has taken its toll.  It’s so good to have this forum to be able to connect.  

Thank you xxx

• I had my first op in February and another in March. I still have quite a bit of pain and discomfort which mentioned to my surgeon when I saw him two weeks ago. He was very reassuring but asked me if a scan would reassure me further. He arranged it on the spot and it showed nothing more worrying than a couple of cysts. 

the surgeon said I might have pain/discomfort for up to a year but that it was quite normal as there was a lot of healing going on. 

I know every little thing is worrying but do seek input from your BCN and other medical experts  

• Thank you for your advice, I will give them a call. 

• I have had a similar experience. I had lumpectomy in April and finished 5 days of radiotherapy 7 weeks ago. I have pain and stiffness in both my arm and breast. I am currently on pregablin forthe nerve pain and also codeine. Awaiting appointment from physio and seeing lymphoedema clinic this week. Fingers crossed it gets better. Seems a long painful journey after radiotherapy.

• Yes- this forum is exactly made for us to connect with each other. It's exactly what I needed. It's tough you have had stress and grief during your recovery, the last thing you needed.

I hope you have some time for yourself, take yourself somewhere nice and quiet to do something you enjoy or just sleep. Sleep is so good for our bodies, it aids recovery and the healing process- including stress. 

Time for you now don't forget. Take care xxx