Invasive lobular carcinoma new diagnosis

• 2 replies
  • 481 subscribers

Hello, I've been reading for a few weeks now, and just want to thank everyone for sharing their experiences, it has helped me a lot. 

Diagnosis of invasive lobular, grade 2, HER - ER pos PR pos on 18 July. Had got married on 13th!

Was initially really positive, think a state of shock, that turned to sadness then anger, back to sadness, now feeling slightly more positive. I've had the oncotype test. Was recommended because I'm young to have ILC according to the doc. No family history.

My experience very similar to others. But I'd found a lump to the right of my breast on the edge of the armpit. It seems to have bamboozled the docs, but I understand that's just ILC now and there's no definitive test. Still waiting on my second biopsy and ultrasound. Lump in arm 20mm on ultrasound. Mri with contrast showed another small lump, 6mm, but nothing in other breast. Radiologist said my lymphs appear normal on ultrasound, but that's a very crude test... Only way to know is when they remove some, which I'm sure will come!

I don't have children but was planning to start now married... I think that's been the thing I've been most upset about, as I think this will definitely set those plans back, might even halt them altogether. Trying to keep positive, but it's so hard waiting for results. I realise this is the norm..

Thank you for reading x 

• Hi Katekatebobs,

I had a lumpectomy nearly four months ago and lymph nodes removed, I’ve just finished my radiotherapy, It is a shock when you are told and it is important you take a bit of time to let it register and sink in.

You have made the first big step by finding the Macmillan site, also do visit your nearest Macmillan centre, a list is on here, or ring them on 0808 808 0000, they are superbly helpful and give you lots of great info, do walks, talks and lots more. Please also get a good support structure in place, family, friends, good work colleagues, I’ve lived on my own for nigh on forty years, but realised you can’t do this on your own. I also go for a short walk every day (British weather permitting) and do a daily diary, this is mega helpful, as it gets everything off your chest and out of your system. It is important during the day to keep yourself occupied, hobbies, interests etc., it stops you from dwelling on what is going on. You may also find it beneficial to listen to a meditation podcast, they really help you to relax especially when you are trying to get to sleep. I use one called ‘Go Gently’ by Christine Elizabeth Smith, it does a lot for me. Whatever you do, do not visit Dr Google as there is so much conflicting information, your head will spin and it will stress you out, listen to your medical team and you get great support on here.

As for having children, I would never rule that out, just put it on hold for a couple of years until you’re better. It would also be beneficial to discuss this with your Breast Cancer Nurse or Doctor, but I feel sure you will have little ones in a few years - you’re  in my prayers.

I know it’s hard sometimes, but try and keep as positive as you possibly can, have positive people around you and dump the negativity, above all, be kind to yourself - I promise you, you will get through this. You are never alone and can always come and chat to us shower in here.

Take care and big hugs.xxx

• Hi Katekatebobs,

I have the same diagnosis as yourself except grade 3. I have had my lumpectomy and sentinel nodes removed. Thankfully my nodes were clear. As it was grade 3 I'm now having preventative chemo to make sure no sleeping cells. I will then have radiotherapy and hormone suppressants. 

The wait for results is awful. It's am emotional rollercoaster. I've never known anxiety like it. However once you have a treatment plan you have something to work towards.

If you inform your consultant you wish to be able to have a family they will arrange for you to have some of your eggs extracted prior to treatments commencing. My daughter did this. It happens relatively quickly so not to delay your treatments. Ask at next appointment they will explain if this is possible in your area.

You've done the right thing reaching out here. Use the chat forums and the macmillan nurses for support. They will guide and inform you.

Congratulations on your recent wedding. I wish you well in your recovery so you can get your life back on track and enjoy your new journey.

Happy to chat on the forums xx