New diagnosis

• 6 replies
  • 482 subscribers

Hi, I’m new to this site having previously been on the bowel cancer forum! I’m due to have a left side lumpectomy in about 3 weeks. My concern is  7 months after my, successful bowel op, a blood clot was found in my leg, so now on Apixaban. Has this affected anyone’s op? Delayed it? Or had any repercussions?

I find just reading other people’s experiences, good and bad, very helpful. I’m very appreciative that I’ve got this far in my life with the help of macmillan.

• Hi  

I'm sorry to read that you're now having to deal with breast cancer having previously been diagnosed with bowel cancer. Having had two different types of cancer myself I can certainly sympathise.

I don't have any experience with Apixaban but noticed that your post hadn't had any replies yet. Responding to you will 'bump' it back to the top of the discussion list again.

While you're waiting for replies, it would be great if you could put something about your diagnosis and treatment to date into your profile as it really helps others when replying to you and also when looking for someone on a similar pathway. It also means that you don't have to keep repeating yourself. To do this click on your username and then select 'Profile'. You can amend it at any time and if you're not sure what to write you can take a look at mine by clicking on my username.

Community Champion Badge

"Never regret a day in your life, good days give you happiness, bad days give you experience"

• Hi,

I was on warfarin pre surgery and spoke to the nurse who got me reviewed by the haematology team (I have a genetic predisposition to clot pre cancer and warfarin managed at hospital). It didn't delay things but I did need a plan to change onto injections for surgery. I was having a mastectomy and nodal clearance. I think the surgeon had some issues with bleeding, but nothing I was affected by. I was booked in for an overnight stay rather than day surgery, just to be safe.

You will likely need to stop apixaban for a couple of days pre op, so need to know if you need injections so worth making sure the surgeon has a plan from the haematology team and you know what you need to do to ensure your safety. I don't know if you are seen by a haematology team, but if you are, you should let them know about surgery.

I changed to edoxaban for chemo and will be stopping it for 2 to 3 days pre thyroid surgery in 4 weeks ( for thyroid cancer) and the haem team are on the case with the surgeon as there is a higher risk of bleeding.

I hope that helps.

• Hi, thank you for the reply Lucky D. I was a bit fixated about the Apixaban when I posted!
    At the beginning of the year I had a R Hemicolectomy for a T2 N0 adenocarcinoma + ovaries & tubes removed. No further treatment needed so all good so far, apart from 7 months later, during a PET Scan, they discovered a blood clot in my leg (I was discharged without blood thinners) and it flagged something in my right breast, which after biopsies has confirms a grade 2 invasive ductal carcinoma, with a lot of letters following!
    On 12/8 I have another scan with dye to determine if I can have the lumpectomy (melon slice?!)on the 19/8. This is where my post, concern, about Apixaban started! However you have given me hope that it will all be ok. 
    I just need a secretary to sort all the dates/ letters/messages from 2 different departments, which all seem to come at once.
    Oh, and I’m 77, not sure you want to know that but I am very aware that I’m very lucky to have got this far, with the support of Macmillan and the people who post. It does help!

• Hi! Thank you for guiding me in the right direction! Easier when only one cancer!
    I’m very impressed with your documentation, I’m having a bit of a meltdown with all the messages, appointments etc.

Looking forward to light at the end of the tunnel!

• I get all the appointments - it's a full time job keeping up. Good luck with your scan and surgery. 

• Thank you. The bowel surgery 7 months ago, was nothing like I had feared, so I’m going to be optimistic and trust this will be the same!