Hello - confused and depressed in the Midlands

• 6 replies
  • 492 subscribers

I found a lump in my right breast back in April and after a biopsy was diagnosed with primary breast cancer in June, still waiting for my operation which will be lumpectomy with breast reduction and armpit biopsy. Bit scared since I've never had an operation in my life. Also feel a bit isolated because I am only 43 so relatively young and none of my friends and family seem to know what to say to me. If anyone else has been or is in the same boat maybe we can support each other. 

• Hi Cosmicgirl,

I have breast cancer. I had my lumpectomy and sentinel nodes removed in June. I panicked about have an operation also as well as the word cancer. The staff at macmillan and the hospital are so lovely and do everything to put you at ease. 

I had day surgery. I went in at 10am in theatre for 12.30 and home at 4pm. I was never in any pain a bit of discomfort. Everyone different. I was told not to drive for 2 weeks and not to do chores or lifting for 4 weeks.

They give you exercises to do which are very doable. Buy a wore free bra as you need to keep bra on day and night for 6-8 weeks. 

I am fully recovered from it now and have started a course of preventative chemo.

I hope this reassures you some.

Happy to discuss further. This forum is very helpful.

Good luck with your recovery xx

• Hi Cosmicgirl. It's a scary and confusing time for sure, when I was diagnosed it really shocked me and it was tough to come to terms with. It might be worth telling your friends and family you're going to need their practical support, things like cooking, shopping etc.  I found people were keen to help but didn't know how.

Also, if you are feeling down and need some extra support, the lovely folks at Macmillan are at the end if the phone. You can call for a chat on 0800 808 0000. 

Finally, this link might help you with the challenge of talking to people. Info booklet

and as Missymolly says, the forum is great and people are super supportive. Best wishes 

Community Champion badge

• Hi Cosmicgirl,

I had a lumpectomy nearly four months ago and lymph nodes removed, I’ve just completed my radiotherapy. It is a shock when you are told and it is important you take a bit of time to let it register and sink in.

You have made the first big step by finding the Macmillan site, also do visit your nearest Macmillan centre, a list is on here, or ring them on 0808 808 0000, they are superbly helpful and give you lots of great info, do walks, talks and lots more. You can visit Monday-Friday, 10-4, for coffee and chat or advice.Please also get a good support structure in place, family, friends, good work colleagues, I’ve lived on my own for nigh on forty years, but realised you can’t do this on your own. It’s understandable that your friends feel awkward around you, they are not being awful, they just don’t know handle it, many people don’t. It may be an idea when you visit your Macmillan centre, to ask one of them to go with you to help them understand, I also go for a short walk every day (British weather permitting) and do a daily diary, this is mega helpful, as it gets everything off your chest and out of your system. It is important during the day to keep yourself occupied, hobbies, interests etc., it stops you from dwelling on what is going on. You may also find it beneficial to listen to a meditation podcast, they really help you to relax especially when you are trying to get to sleep. I use one called ‘Go Gently’ by Christine Elizabeth Smith, it does a lot for me. Whatever you do, do not visit Dr Google as there is so much conflicting information, your head will spin and it will stress you out, listen to your medical team and you get great support on here.

I know it’s hard sometimes, but try and keep as positive as you possibly can, have positive people around you and dump the negativity, above all, be kind to yourself - I promise you, you will get through this. You are never alone and can always come and chat to us shower in here.

Take care and big hugs.xxx

• Hey there 

im in the midlands too! I am in my late 40’s. I  was diagnosed with grade 2 invasive lobular carcinoma back in January I had a right side mastectomy in May and I’m having the rest of my lymph nodes removed next week.

i agree it is a shock to the system and people do stress about ways to support us. The staff at the hospital have been fantastic so has everyone here on the forum.

• Hi Cosmic girl, you will go through it, stay positive and concentrate on the good things in your life Slight smile

The surgery itself is not too bad, most people don`t feel much pain, you will be given painkillers and good advice from the hospital, do as they tell you and take it slow :)

I had a lumpectomy in March, then another margin clearing in May and a third surgery only 2 days ago.

The first surgery was an overnight stay, the other 2 day cases, I was able to wash myself, eat and even cook as soon as I got home from the hospital, after a short nap of course Slight smile

I always recovered after 2 weeks on sick leave but I took 2 extra weeks of annual leave after each surgery and went back to work on lighter duties, I am lucky I have a supportive workplace.

I am waiting for the results of the third surgery now, if the margins are clear this time, I can start the radiotherapy and hopefully leave this behind me Slight smile

Stay positive and don`t stress, many hugs :) xxx

• Hi Cosmicgirl,

I found a lump in my right breast last March '23, diagnosed in May aged 45 and had my lumpectomy last June. Like you, aside from a C Section, I'd not had surgery before and never a general anaesthetic, so that was all worrying, on top of everything else. I had the sentinel node biopsy too. Honestly, it was much better than I thought it would be. I didn't need the painkillers after a day or so and I was back to walking a few miles a day a week later, just had to be careful lifting things and I could still feel weakness in that arm for several months, so take your recovery slowly. People don't know what to say, you're right. Remind yourself that they are trying to be helpful, even when they're saying things that really don't help! Whereabouts in the Midlands are you? I'm about 10 miles from Birmingham, so do shout if you want to chat any time. Best of luck xx