Biopsy - awaiting results - scared!!

• 18 replies
  • 465 subscribers

Hello -

I had a biopsy left breast on Thursday 4 July - my 65th birthday!! It was just one area on the inner, underside of my left breast. My previous mammo was 2019 with no concerns, then I had a thermograph two years ago and no sign of anything then. I can't even feel anything myself although the radiologist said she "thought" she could - she was very rough though, far more than I am on myself.

I get my results on Wednesday 10th so I know I am jumping the gun here - it might be (and I pray it is) nothing - but I am so scared and I am all alone in the world - I have nobody to share this with, speak to or get any comforting words from.

I live alone and have no children thanks to ovarian cancer and complete hysterectomy when I was 34 although I have no suspicions that the two are linked at all. I do have two dogs though who I took over from my late partner when he died 5 years ago from kidney cancer. Previous to that, they had lost their original mum to cancer four years prior and so I am desperate beyond words that I stay alive long enough to see them out - I couldn't bear for them to go through all this again and have to have yet new parents.

So I just wanted to say hello - and wonder if anybody has any words of encouragement for me. I have nobody to attend my results appointment with. My legs are still like jelly, my stomach is constantly churning although I have just eaten my first half a breakfast this morning since the biopsy - I just feel constantly sick with worry and have ongoing diarrhoea from a gastric episode just before all this happened so I don't suppose that is going to clear up in a hurry.

I look forward to hearing from … someone - thank you. 

Amanda

• Btw I think this sounds like a good outcome, grade 1 and small. That’s good. And lumpectomy even if you did go home alone after a night, don’t fret too much maybe just get some easy cook things in the fridge?? 

also - what about putting something on your local Facebook group to see if there’s a student home or something that might be delighted to come walk your dogs for a few days ?? You could sound it out without putting anything personal in there maybe

try not to fret you’ve got this 

• I won't send them out the home so I need someone to come here and pet sit.  I have the option of staying in but same thing - I need someone here whatever.  Very surprisingly, my brother, who has never visited me in donkeys years, has just offered without me even asking him so problem solved!  xx

• Hi Amanda,

Sorry not the results you wanted.

But as cancers go focus on slow growing and grade1. Fingers crossed its lumpectomy and nodes removed then onto radiotherapy.

Fingers crossed for you. Take care of yourself and use the support of your brother and this forum.

Wishing you well in your recovery xx

• Hi Amanda 

Mine was a grade 1 IDC and I had my lumpectomy back in November. Recovery for most people is very smooth ( I was walking round Tesco's 2 days later) 

We are all here for you and are on this journey with you, holding your hand and walking beside you.

Sending love and hugs xx

• Thanks Tash, that's comforting to hear. The surgeon did seem to err on the side of worst case scenario but then I guess if you think and prepare for that, anything less is a bonus. Glad you are on the mend now x

• Thankfully my brother has stepped up Pray, but thank you for the suggestion x

• Happy Thursday Amanda,

Hopefully a better day for you, so pleased to hear that your brother has come to help, that shows blood is thicker than water this will help so much.

I think you must try to get things into prospective, before you get a date for your surgery, maybe a big shopper with some ready meals to keep you going for a few days after returning home from hospital so you can relax and take one day at a time, after my lumpectomy I was a bit sort, but managed to cope with most thing, so I hope you will be the same.

Also, have you got a Maggie centre near you, they seem to be extremely friendly and helpful, maybe have a word with your breast cancer nurses, don’t be afraid to ask for help and support if you need to.

Wishing you well, with health and happiness ahead, we are all here with love and support.

hugs Tili x

• Thanks Tili

Macmillan centre manager came with me to get my results yesterday and I can't tell you what a relief that was. I was in a right state when I arrived but did so early so I had about half hour chat with her first and I went in relatively calm. They handled everything so gently, quite different to how matter of factly my late partner was told about his kidney cancer (by appointment letter to oncology initially Scream). 

I'm praying it won't turn into anything more, I'm okay ATM. Starting back in the gym today to get match fit beforehand.

Thanks Tili x