New here

• 10 replies
  • 483 subscribers
  1. Hi new here, just recently diagnosed. To have op tomorrow. Not sure where to start think it's a bit surreal to be honest. Scary if I stop to long to think about it x
  • Hi Missymolly,

I’m not sure what op you are having tomorrow and I’m sorry to hear you are going through this. I had a lumpectomy nearly two months ago and two lymph nodes removed. It is a shock when you are told and it is important you take a bit of time to let it register and sink in.

You have made the first big step by finding the Macmillan site, also do visit your nearest Macmillan centre, a list is on here, or ring them on 0808 808 0000, they are superbly helpful and give you lots of great info, do walks, talks and lots more. Please also get a good support structure in place, family, friends, good work colleagues, I’ve lived on my own for nigh on forty years, but realised you can’t do this on your own. Never be afraid to ask for help or to receive it. I also go for a short walk every day (British weather permitting) and do a daily diary, this is mega helpful, as it gets everything off your chest and out of your system. It is important during the day to keep yourself occupied, hobbies, interests etc., it stops you from dwelling on what is going on. You may also find it beneficial to listen to a meditation podcast, they really help you to relax especially when you are trying to get to sleep. I use one called ‘Go Gently’ by Christine Elizabeth Smith, it does a lot for me.

I know it’s hard sometimes, but try and keep as positive as possible can, have positive people around you and dump the negativity, above all, be kind to yourself, that’s important - I promise you, you will get through this. You are never alone and can always come and chat to us shower in here.

Take care and big hugs.xxx

• Hi thank you for responding. Sounds like i am having the same op as you. Lumpectomy and removal of 2 lymph nodes. I will seek out some supports. Have a supportive family but not ventured out much or involved others. Feels like a bit of denial but also in limbo. Thank you for your encouraging message. Glad your op went well and you remain positive x

• Thank you it really helps so see my feelings mirrored. Huggs xx

• Wishing you well xx

• Hi, welcome to the rollercoster ride of a cancer diagnosis. I had my diagnosis last year of breast cancer and had lumpectomy and lymp nodes removed, then radiotherapy and now letrozole. Be kind to yHearturself and take one day at a time. Take as long as you can to recover. You will have good and bad days, but it's ok. Sometimes it feels like a big gap between appointments, but it's ok as you need tHeartme in between to recover. You've got this and stronger than you think you are. Sending you lots of love Heart️ 

• Thank you, glad to hear that your further along in your journey. That's reassuring. I will try to take it step at a time and learn to be patient. Can't lie I will be glad when tomorrow by and they'vHeart cut thus out of me Heart

• I was the same wanted it out but also scared.when I had my surgery I got my daughter to French braid my hair as I was unable to lift my arm up to brush it. Button up tops or PJs were my friend as I couldn't lift my left arm up and not being able to normal tasks with your affected arm is normal. Good luck for tomorrow and keep me updated xx

• I am so scared i hate anaesthetics. I have a real fear. I dont do pain either. Im scared of the biopsy results also. Lots of fears.

Im a terrible patient Blush  but thank you you for the tips that is very useful. I never thought about hair or clothing. Will give it some thought now. Keep fighting. Will update after recovery xx

• I am a big baby when it comes to hospitals and the worst patient ever. I got them to give me diazepam to keep me calm, as I faint at needles. I took painkillers every four hours as I didn't want any pain. If I can get through it, anyone can xx

• Thank you for sharing. I will try some relaxation, and positive thinking. I will hopefully feel better once there and talking with others in the same situation. Xx