Referred to breast clinic today. Beside myself with worry.

• 6 replies
  • 464 subscribers

Hello, I have joined this evening after reading a few posts and feeling like I wanted to join in. 

I found a lump in my left breast last night, at the bottom. I had a breast augmentation 20 years ago, so regularly check and found this new addition. I instantly panicked and poked and prodded all evening. This morning it was sore and has a bruise. 

I contacted my GP first thing and they got me in to see the nurse straight away. She felt the lump and said it felt to her like a cyst. She then checked my right breast and found that I have thick tissue towards the top, which I didn't even notice. It sent me into another spin. I got so upset I couldn't even go back to work after the appointment and had to go home. 

I've been referred to the breast clinic for a full check, and have been advised that it's looking like a 4 week wait due to being so busy. 

Has anyone else had similar experiences to this? I am beside myself with worry. I'm 38 (almost 39) and am getting married to the love of my life next year. All I can think of is the worst case and I can't bear it.

Thank you x 

• Hi  , sorry you’ve found yourself here , the club that we’d all rather not have joined! But a great place for support and shared experiences. Unfortunately you have a horrible few weeks to get through before you know what you’re dealing with. Try to keep in mind that most lumps and bumps are not cancer. I’ve had several referrals over the years - all with happy outcomes - ‘nodular’ breasts, duct ectasia, fibroadenoma and cysts. Then at 59, a breast cancer diagnosis. I had surgery and radiotherapy over 5 years ago and am still taking hormone blockers, so far so good. 
    I hope you are a short term member here and that your breast clinic visit turns up nothing untoward. That’s the most likely scenario. But if it does turn out to be cancer, also bear in mind that breast cancer is very treatable nowadays and new treatments are coming along all the time. Sending love and a big virtual hug, HFxx

HappyFeet1 xx
    Don’t be afraid to cry. It will free your mind of sorrowful thoughts. – Hopi
  • Thank you so much for your reply. 
    I'm looking into going private for a quicker appointment but need to explore my options too. 
    sending you a hug right back and wishing you well in your recovery. Black heart

• Hi Worriedgirl,

You are doing all the right things …..and yes, the next few weeks will be stressful until you know what you’re dealing with. Everyone’s cancer is different and naturally you’ll worry about it! Smalliece of advice …..don’t google it, it’s a complex disease and you’ll scare yourself silly and convince yourself you’re going to die if you research too much….wait until you know what you have  ,then look it up! Good luck today …it’s a long road but you’ll get there xxxxx

• I stupidly looked at my NHS app and my appointments and it's down as "urgent referral for suspected breast cancer" so now I'm worried that the nurse had concerns she didn't share. 
    is this the standard name for the referral? 

• No… that’s standard…you’re in the system and getting things done. You’ll worry every step of the way….try distraction methods…xxx

• I’m sure that’s standard, as  says, and it’s probably necessary for them to say that in order to get you referred quickly, otherwise you’d be classed as ‘routine’ I think and waiting for ages. Xxx

HappyFeet1 xx
    Don’t be afraid to cry. It will free your mind of sorrowful thoughts. – Hopi