Breast Cancer

• 5 replies
  • 485 subscribers

I have just been diagnosed with Breast Cancer 2 weeks ago. I’m due to have the lump removed on 10/6. Very anxious, my care nurse has talked me through it all. Still don’t stop myself feeling worried, upset, nervous and anxious. 

• Hi Louloo65,

I had a lumpectomy about a month ago and two lymph nodes removed. It is a shock when you are told and it is important you take a bit of time to let it register and sink in and I know the waiting is the worse.

You have made the first big step by finding the Macmillan site, also do visit your nearest Macmillan centre, a list is on here, they are superbly helpful and give you lots of great info, do walks, talks and lots more. Please also get a good support structure in place, family, friends, good work colleagues, I’ve lived on my own for nigh on forty years, but realised you can’t do this on your own. I also go for a short walk every day (British weather permitting) and do a daily diary, this is mega helpful, as it gets everything off your chest and out of your system.

I know it’s hard sometimes, but try and keep as positive as you can, have positive people around you and dump the negativity, but most of all, be kind to yourself and take one day at a time. You are not alone and can always come and chat to us shower in here

Take care and big hugs.

• Hi Louloo, sorry that you find yourself here. I had a lumpectomy and 3 lymph nodes removed ( SLNB ( sentinel lymph node biopsy) on 22nd March . I'd never had a general anaestthetic before, I was really scared but it was fine. Missing 32g of my right breast but you can hardly tell!

The next step for you may be a breast MRI ( with contrast ) , this gives them a more accurate picture of the lump and your lymphs for your op.

Seconding BB, if you can go to Macmillan, please do. Also, Maggie's are based at some hospitals. They both offer a chat over a brew and advice and a sympathetic ear.

Stay close - it's the waiting that's the worst x

1. Hi klf, I’ve had a biopsy of my lump I found and they also put in a margin. On Monday 20th may ive  got to have a seed put in. All ready for my op on 10th June. They are removing 3 lymph’s and the lump, then 10 days later for results. I’ve already had a 3D scan, but it’s the seed implant I’m scared of. Going into the lump. It’s going to be like the biopsy, which to me was awful, especially when I have a needle phobia. It feels like now it’s all appointments and waiting. My care nurse is brilliant, she has talked me through everything. My mind is doing overtime, my anxiety is through the roof. I’ve been told to do day by day and not worry about tomorrow, but difficult not to really. Thankyou for messaging me. Think I will need this group to help me see this through. 
  • I'm glad you've had the MRI. I had a wire marker , not sure if that's the same as the seed. I'd say it was similar to the biopsy , they definitely numbed it.though and they were all lovely . Easy to say , try to practice some breathing exercises to get you htrough it . As far as the op goes, I don't actually remember going to sleep! And it's awful that your life is dtetermined by the appointments and waiting. You will worry , we all do x

• Hi, I had the mag seed implanted and it was painless, the biopsy was more painful for me. Take care of yourself