Recently disgnosed

• 1 reply
  • 454 subscribers

Hi, I have be diagnosed with stage 2 breast cancer in my breast and lymph nodes, also now need a biopsy on my left breast to check before surgery. This was found on a routine mammogram, I have no pain or lumps that can be felt. I have elected to have a mastectomy. 

• Hi, welcome but sorry to hear of your diagnosis. Such a worrying time.

You sound quite confident in your choice and I believe that us feeling a sense of control in this thing goes a long way,  really helping to ease anxiety.

I am 17 days post bilateral surgery, mastectomy left and lumpectomy right. The first week post op was the hardest. I barely remember it. But as time moves on, I can feel my body healing more and more each day.

You haven't asked but here are my offerings...

If you live alone, arrange to have someone stay with you after surgery (my sister stayed and I found her presence invaluable) you will have taken a huge physical and emotional knock.

Do your exercises, as instructed. It will be uncomfortable but I found they have really helped me feel stronger, mobile and more myself.

Lean on trusted people in your life.

Call your nurse, if you have any questions or concerns before or after surgery. 

I wish you all the best with your surgery and a speedy healing. S