Is it just me?

• 10 replies
  • 449 subscribers

Morning .. How do I start? The facts.. 63 no history of BC in family, always been to mammograms, Feb 24 routine mammogram 04/04 unilateral masectomy, so pleased for the quick treatment but don't feel like my feet have touched the ground. So it was right breast 10mm IDC grade 2 and 6mm DCIS , hormone receptive, my choice for masectomy.

These are the facts , I am waiting for results for HER2 and sentinal lymph nodes and probably not till 30/04.

On the outside I appear to be coping, on the inside I am already dying, convinced it has spread, that I am going to get the worse news possible, and I am forever having this battle in my head, and I am pretty sure there isn't a minute where I am not thinking about it.

I know the waiting is the worse and Dr Google the worse thing to do, but how do people remain positive? And after treatment etc how do people put it out of their minds and have a normal, happy life?

I am not normally like this and have survived some rubbish times, but I think Cancer has always been my biggest fear, and I am proving I cannot cope.

• I totally get you. My first Routine mammogram and I was diagnosed with Breast cancer on my right Breast,  mastectomy and reconstruction 6 weeks later.  Tumour was 6.2cm and in lymph nodes.  That was such a shock as previously told it wasn't in them.  Chemotherapy was recommended and am now half way through it.  I have remained positive throughout. I have had a few down days with everything.  The main thing I had was loosing my independence and having to rely on people. Thats the worst.   I am slowly becoming back to myself again.  Loosing my hair was quite traumatic - I couldn't do what others do and shave it off.  But I am loving my hats and wigs. Try to have things booked etc in the near future to look forward too.  Even if it is just afternoon tea with some friends - I found that really helped me.

Reaching out here is also good cos we are all going through similar things.  

• Thankyou so much, and your words of encouragement.

Like you I am hugely independent and usually the one giving help.. I think I need to deal with this as a battle, I am already jogging, doing housework from 2 days post surgery (carefully) and it sort of makes me feel in control.

Like you I will go to wigs, I do not have the confidence for baldness and I also want to be anonymous.  

I wish you so much luck with the rest of your chemo and keep rocking those hats Womans hat

• Hi Kay2024,

I am the same age as you, with also no BC in the family. Also had routine mammogram nine weeks ago and they found stage 1. Was devastated, didn’t go with the mindset that I had nothing, but still a shock. During this time, I have had two X-rays, an ultrasound, three biopsies and came out of Hospital on Tuesday after having a lumpectomy on Monday. They say it went really well and I have to go back for results of op in the 7th May.

What I would say, is that you have to take a few weeks to let this sink in, take time to digest the info. I have lived on my own for nigh on forty years and maybe this held me in good stead I’m not sure, but I decided to concentrate on the positives, I.e. it’s stage 1, treatable, not in lymph nodes etc., this started to make things a bit easier. I am also partially sighted, so decided to put things in place. I contacted Macmillan across the road and visited them, set up a support system, this is important. I’ve done everything on my own, but this you can’t do by yourself. I also read the notes they give me, it’s strange, but the more you understand about what is happening, the less scary it seems. On the run up to the op, I got a good sized food shop and did some batch cooking so I had plenty of ready meals on hand.

I know this is hard, but having good supportive people around you will help and also doing a daily diary as I am doing, of how you feel and what you day was like is really helpful as you are getting things out of your system.

I do hope I have helped even in a small way and always feel free, to let off steam here if you want. Love and hugs.x

• Hi I don't know if it is is any comfort but that is exactly how I and others here seem to have felt. It's  the not knowing that is the worst. Not clear whether you have had mastectomy? I had mine last Wednesday and have been amazingly pain-free and feeling OK. I am 86 but very fit and active but everyone thought it would knock me about more. I am waiting for path results to see if I need any more treatment. I live alone but have had wonderful support. Hope you have support but keep in touch it does help.xx

• Many thanks, and yes such a help, I hope it not stupid to say happy its stage 1 for you... i think this stage/grade thing confused me as they told me grade 2 but wouldn't say stage, whetes everyone else seems to have been told. I see this as something to worry about, rather than focusing on the facts. 

I love your attitude, and Am sure you will do well x

• Yes unilateral masectomy on 4th April now waiting. I am fit and thought healthy! Am trying to walk/jog as a positive.

Thank you for your kind words, and may I say you are amazing.

X

• Hi Kay, I am supporting my daughter with her treatment and I know she feels exactly as you describe - so do I. No breast cancer in the family, this came out of the blue. Such a rollercoaster - one day you can believe treatment is winning and there's a light atvthe end of the tunnel. The next day (or the next hour) you can be equally convinced that it has already spread.

Glad you've joined this welcoming community and wish you well. Sending a hug x

• Bless you cherry2, I have 2 daughters so can imagine how you feeling, dare I ask how old your daughter is? On talking to the nurses etc there is more and more younger ladies being diagnosed, with this thought shouldn't mammograms be standard at earlier than 50?

But I digress , thank you, I feel abnormal so it is good to know this is the "norm" for some, I really battle with the facts versus my very vivid imagination, and the black side feels so real, until I can shift it for a short while.

I so wish your daughter and yourself the very best with a successful outcome.

X

• Thank you, Kay. Daughter is 46. Her cancer is very rare and she's also had a second, unrelated, tumour elsewhere.  It's such a tough, emotional time. As a mum, you always want to 'make everything right' for your children, but in this case, I just can't. 

Having been to many appointments and treatments with her for a year now, you're definitely right - the number of younger women is definitely on the rise. 

Very best wishes for your successful treatment . xx

• So young bless her. She obviously has a fully supportive and involved mum and this is so important, so whilst you can't make it right I am sure you making it so much better. I hope you have support also .

X