New to group - watery eyes issue (severe dry eyes)

• 1 reply
  • 486 subscribers

Hi I finished chemo July last year but have still got issues with my eyes.  I kept telling Oncology every time they rang that I was suffering from watery eyes but all they said was get over the counter drops.  I was beside myself so 'phoned McMillan for advice. They said I should go the the optician, for which I am grateful.  I went to the optician about 2 months ago.  He was very thorough and gave me as list of things to do to help ie heat masks twice a day, massage eyelids, intense eye drops every hour, ointment at night and wipes to clean the eye lids and lashes.  I feel better in the morning using ointment, however, every time I step outside my eyes run like a tap.  I wear sunglasses when outside if it's cold and windy to protect my eyes but am still suffering.

Has anyone else come across this?  I am still on herceptin but not sure if this effects the eyes, only when it's combined with chemo.  

• Hi, yes I’ve got this issue too, even after my chemo and herceptin stopped. I have found using antihistamine all year around helps and in the summer I have added in antihistamine eye drops too. I don’t understand it but it seems like the treatment has left me with low level allergies all year round. Using the antihistamine has really helped. I also use Theloz Duo. All the best x