First day of chemo

• 3 replies
  • 486 subscribers

I was diagnosed last month with triple negative breast cancer and no lump found but cancer in my lymph nodes. I started chemo and immunotherapy today, with surgery scheduled after 8 cycles. My work has fallen apart in just a few weeks despite fantastic support from family and friends. I am used to being in control and hold a senior job, just keep crying at the very thought of a mastectomy. It seems such a long haul from where I am now. 

• I got a reconstruction at the same time as my mastectomy. Took a while to recover but slowly getting back to normal.  Chemotherapy is almost half way.  Am scheduled for 6 sessions.  3 of one kind and 3 of another then radiotherapy after that.  Nae hair and almost no eyelashes. But am alive and cancer hasn't spread. 

• Hi   I can empathise so much with you. I was diagnosed in February 2021, and I work full time (or more) in a senior role and love to be in control.  I had a lot of support from my team and work colleagues and I managed to work (with some flexibility) throughout over 12 months of treatment.  If you are interested (or bored) you can check out my blog here Blog

Some tips for working that might help you as these all combined helped me:

- as much as possible from home to cut down on commuting tome

- no calls before 10am to allow for a bad night's sleep, or more time to catch up on emails before a busy day

- a one hour lunch break to take a walk

- refuse, cancel, delegate everything that's not urgent - using it a chance for team members to take a stretch, to step up (mine were super helpful)

- delegate to peers as well as team members

- I had a great PA who fielded my emails and manage my diary very strictly 

- we formalised cover for my surgery / recovery and a team member stepped up, just like if 8 had been on parental leave 

Honestly I think I was able to cope well with treatment as work was such a distraction, but I was also fortunate not to have bad side effects from chemo and a super understanding boss and a great time.  I also think cancer has made me a better leader, which is interesting now looking back.   If I can help any further please shout.  Best wishes 

Community Champion badge

• Thanks so much, loving the tips.I had been considering retiring but this is a year for some ‘heavy lifting’ at work so thought I’d stick around to get my successor more up to speed. Looks like I might get a dry run at the team stepping up so that I can direct mainly from home. Need to balance keeping myself usefully busy whilst remembering to look after myself. Live by the sea so had already resolved to have a daily walk - calendar tips so helpful, will get PA on the case. Fingers crossed my side effects aren’t too awful and I’ll defo look at your blog.