Recent lumpectomy and radiation soon

• 8 replies
  • 455 subscribers

Hi I was diagnosed in December 2023 and had a lumpectomy on my right breast in Feb. I am healing nicely (although had fluid in the breast which I insisted they take a look and removed a pint!! Of fluid from the breast) which helped immensely. Also had 5 lymph nodes removed a few weeks ago. I am experiencing a lot of pain n numbness just wondering if anyone is experiencing same and what meds or relief methods being used? Also very tiredWink

• Hi Haze62

Welcome to the club you didn’t want to join. I had a mastectomy and 5 lymph nodes removed back in June. I’m glad they removed the fluid for you although I believe it can come back. I tried to get an aspiration about a month after my surgery but they wouldn’t do it. I still have a lot of swelling and pain, especially under the arm. The drain was in less than 12 hours after surgery which I think was too short.  I keep being told to be patient as everyone heals at their own pace. I am seeing a physio now and I still believe I will one day be pain free. I even dream about being back to normal! However I don’t want to scare you. I think most people recover a lot quicker. I’m still able to go on holidays and get on with life - just a bit less flexible than normal!

• Aww! Thanks for your reply, almost 9mths in sorry to hear and sounds scary that you are still in pain. I also forgot to mention that my diabetes may have something to do with slow recovery but I guess I will get there eventually. Just need to be patient with myself. Not looking fwd to the radiation . How did you find that process? 

• I found the radiotherapy not too bad. Had 5 days which went quickly, very little skin reaction and fatigue hit about 8-10 weeks later but not too bad. Just lots of early nights. Drink lots of water, keep hydrated during treatment and keep scar moisturised. The hospital will advise on best creams. Xx

• Thank you for the reassurance. I am worried about the scaring! 

• Might not be too bad with a lumpectomy-. I had a lump removed (benign) many years ago and it healed up no problem - I barely noticed it. I know radiotherapy on top can add to the tight feeling but I’m sure you’ll be fine. I’m slowly starting to enjoy life again … there’s a lovely bright light at the end of that tunnel. Sending hugs xx

• So nice to learn that you are starting to enjoy life again. I've been having a lot of down days with little energy to exercise and feel motivated. Sometimes i just jump right back into bed and don't always fall asleep. I guess I'm going through the emotional rollar coaster but I hope I come out of the other end screaming with joy. Radiation consultation with Oncologists takes place tomorrow!

• Nice to learn that you are starting to enjoy life again. I have my days where I just want to jump back into bed as I lack energy, excercise and motivation. I don't lack the tools far from it with the wealth of info via utube but the emotions take over. Going for a walk in the hope of generating some positivity. Meeting with the Oncologists to discuss the radiation treatment should be interesting! Will keep you posted.

• Good luck for today. It’s ok to have bad days - we all do. Xxx