Breast Cancer Recovery - Going through Chemotherapy

• 1 reply
  • 484 subscribers

Hi Everybody

I have just joined the forum today and I was diagnosed at the beginning of December with Grade 3  breast cancer and HERS II positive.  I had a lumpectomy operation at the end of January 2024 (which was successful) and even better news that the cancer had not spread to my lymph nodes.  I consider myself very lucky as it was caught early through a routine mammogram and picked up from there.  I could not feel the lump and even my breast cancer consultant had trouble.  Whilst he was doing the operation they came across another lump and luckily this was non-cancerous.

I started chemotherapy on 11 March and I am currently having Paclitaxel weekly along with Herceptin once a month.  So far I have  just got on with life and accepted how lucky and blessed  I have been and reached the age of 65 without having any major health problems.

This week was my 4th round of chemotherapy and up to this point I counted myself lucky that I hadn't lost any hair but today in the shower I noticed clumps are now coming out.  It seems so stupid but I have to accept the inevitable that my hair will fall out but it has really knocked me.  I knew this would happen but I feel really emotional about this and just wondered if anybody else was like this.

• Hi Caz. I know exactly how you feel. The cancer was picked up on routine screening - no lump, just a slight skin discolouration. I had 3 EC and now only have 2 more paclitaxel to go before chemo is done and dusted, praise the Lord! I'm 63, my daughters shaved my head on Christmas night because it was coming out in handfuls and I found it so traumatic that I just wanted it gone there and then. The good news is that it started growing back 4 weeks ago and I now have snowy white bum fluff on my scalp. I was so excited last night when I found 12 leg hairsSmile. Talk about clutching at straws!. It's a terrible shock when you see a stranger looking back at you from a mirror but it does get a little easier. The paclitaxel cycles have passed very quickly and even though I feel like I've run a maraton after every session, there's an end in sight. Be kind to yourself, cry whenever you feel like it and know that the horrible stuff doesn't last forever. If you feel up to it, keep us in the loop with your treatment - the people on this forum have been where you are now and are rooting for you. Big hugs xo