New here, Grade 3 Breast Cancer

• 8 replies
  • 458 subscribers

Just got told today my breast cancer lumpectomy last week didn’t get all the cancer and I’m going back in this Wednesday for another operation. Terrified as it’s all so much to take in and even understand. 

• Yes, Mags58, this happens sometimes and it's unfortunate. Most probably everything will be just fine after the second operation. I had a mastectomy last year and was terrified because they couldn't achieve clear margins and I had to have chemotherapy, radiotherapy, etc. Just stay calm and try not to overthink (easier said than done, I know!)! Fingers crossed for your second surgery and the very best of luck with your cancer treatment! Big hug,

Lana xx

• Thank you Lana for your reply, it’s all just so scary xxx

• I too had to have a 2nd surgery and thankfully margins were then clear.  .  I had two weeks of radiotherapy.  Apparently this happens quite a bit and the breast care nurse told me to take it as another step in the journey.  I asked how many surgeries would be performed if the margins were not clear before a mastectomy was the only answer and the surgeon said that depended on the size of your breast. 

• Thank you for your reply, that gives me some hope and let’s face it, that’s all I’ve got at the moment. I think it’s all the fear of the unknown xxx

• Hi Mags58

I had to have a second surgery as well abound my margins were clear second time around.

Best of luck with your second operation.

Best wishes

Daisy53

Community Champion Badge

• Hi Mags

surgeon removed three cancerous tumours successfully and got clear margins. When histology looked under microscope they found dcis. So. I have to go into tomorrow for clearer margins. If not successful it will be a mastectomy. Terrified like you

• Hi Goad, yes that’s exactly the same as me. I’m sitting here and my stomach is swirling. Very best of luck to you for tomorrow xxx

• My stomach was churning yesterday. Now got to wait until 11th for results. Scared xx