Mastectomy squelchy fluid noises under arm

• 4 replies
  • 483 subscribers

Hi folks but for the last day following my mastectomy on Friday I can hear fluid squelching in my armpit where the removed some lymph glands. Is this normal? I have no drain as my consultant does not like to fit these and I can’t see any swelling.

• I had the squelchy noise, like a hot water bottle. I was told it's completely normal. They don't like to drain it unless it's absolutely necessary because of the risk of infection. Talk to a breast nurse, they can be very reassuring.  It took a while but it does go

• Thanks I’m speaking to her tomorrow so I will ask but useful to get some reassurance here 

• Hi Snoopy, sorry to hear you are suffering with this, it can be really uncomfortable. 

I had exactly the same, however with swelling under armpit and around my mastectomy wound,  which made it very difficult with mobility/to do any exercises. After first 10 days they drained it as it was excessive. I had this done 3 more times at roughly 12 Day intervals but then it settled down. I did get an infection after the last time so like Sourdough said, they really don’t like doing it for that reason. 
    best to speak with the BCNs and they will advise and do what is right for you, take lots of care x