Genetic Testing

• 4 replies
  • 485 subscribers

Hi everyone! I’m hoping someone may be able to shed some light on this for me. At my diagnosis consult in Jan for Stage 1, Grade 2 invasive ductal carcinoma I was offered a possibility of genetic testing. Being a bit overwhelmed and trying to process as well as not knowing family history further then my biological mothers’s diagnosis and death I declined. I’m not going to go into a deep dive here but fast forward to today and I’ve now found out that my grandmother passed from ovarian cancer and her sister from breast cancer. Should I request a referral for genetic testing? Should my daughter who is 25 and I was told has a moderate risk test? Does this information mean her risk is higher now? 

• Definitely, as that's 4 family members.  It could alter your treatment and your daughter would be skiable for testing if you were positive. Remember that they only test for the more common ones.  Even in negative,  your daughter would qualify for mammograms from 40 or on demand.  I've 2 daughters and was told that. 

“Remember to look up at the stars and not down at your feet.  Stephen Hawking,
  • Hi  , I wasn’t offered genetic testing when first diagnosed, in fact when I asked, the doctor said that because it was hormone positive it was unlikely to be inherited, despite my family history (mother died of breast cancer at 53, father of prostate cancer at 60, mothers aunt died in her 50s from breast cancer). But I asked again 4 years later and got referred. Turns out I do have a pathogenic variant of the ATM gene which carries a moderate risk and is likely why I got it. Family members can now be tested and, if positive, will get breast screening from 40 instead of 50. So I’d say it’s well worth getting tested, although of course it’s a personal choice. I definitely wanted to know and I’m glad I pushed for it. It’s also been reassuring in my case as I haven’t got any of the high risk genes. I’d rather have been negative for everything but try to take the positives from it! And for me, knowledge is power and can inform future decisions. Xxx

HappyFeet1 xx
    Don’t be afraid to cry. It will free your mind of sorrowful thoughts. – Hopi
  • Londonmumof2 thank you so much for responding. I will speak to my breast care nurse soonest to find out how to move forward with this. 

• Happyfeet1 thank you for sharing. Yes, knowledge is power (my biological mother was diagnosed whilst pregnant with me and passed at 38. My grandmother of ovarian cancer in her early 50’s and her sister in late 50’s with breast cancer). Honestly, until I was diagnosed I never really thought much of it and just went for checkups in my birth country where I was considered high risk. I’ve made sure all these years that my daughter has as much info as possible and to do the checks. I will definitely speak to my bc nurse on the way forward xx