Breast cancer

• 7 replies
  • 484 subscribers

Hi, my name is Trish and I'm due to have surgery on 13th March. I'm having a mastectomy of my right breast. It's all happened so quickly since finding the lump on 9th February. It all came as a shock as my GP didn't think it was anything more than a cyst as it was painful. I was then told by the breast consultant that he didn't think it would be anything to worry about as cancer lumps aren't normally painful. Because mine is I'm very frightened. 

I'm not sure how long I've had this for as it's confirmed I have it in my Lymph nodes and also white specs on top of my breast are cancerous to. 

I'm having sleepless nights as I'm trying to be positive but bad thoughts keep playing over in my mind. I think it's not knowing is the worst. The waiting to see if its spread. I have been reading some of your experiences and you all sound so brave and amazing. I prey I can do the same. 

• Hello Trish. Sorry that you find yourself here - but you will find lots of support. It must be a shock as it is all so quick - but please think positively that it has all been so quick. I too am having a mastectomy next week plus lymph node clearance. I was referred on 17th November, so been round many cycles of scans to get to this stage and a lot of waiting which has been agonising.
    Think positive. The experts know what they are doing and will keep you informed of what’s needed. Keeping looking ahead and you’ll get through it x

• If you are already booked in for surgery I would have thought the cancer hasn’t spread beyond locally  - the experts need to know the full picture before surgery. That was what I understood x

• Hi.yes sleepless nights. I know them too well!!  I'm very similar to you. Got refereed on 19th January by GP after finding a dimpling.. then since then all the scans etc. Been told I will need mastectomy as spread to armpits (lymph nodes). Just waiting from the ct scan result now to see if spread elsewhere. Won't know til 18th March. 

I don't think I have slept probably  through since the 19th January.  We get all thoughts going through our heads our brains go into overload. 

Just try to take each day as it comes well that's what I keep telling myself. We all have good and bad days! 

• Yes I am on a similar time scale. I am having Pet scan on Tuesday as CT showed up some nodules. The waiting and the lieing awake at night are the worst part.  I try and read a book but mind goes off in all directions. Good to hear others in similar position.

• I have a book on my bedside table but not opened it. 

It's been there for over a week now.!! 

Good luck for Tuesday 

1. Hi, I am in the same position and waiting on my bone and CT scan results, having sleepless nights. Have you had your results, hoping everything went well for x 

• Hi, Im sorry you are going through this. 
    I am currently waiting for results from CT and bone scan, and having sleepness nights too. I had positive cancer lymph nodes after my mastectomy surgery. 
    have you had your results yet? hoping everything went well