Reconstruction dilemma

• 5 replies
  • 483 subscribers

Newly diagnosed.  61 tad overweight, run and swim regularly. Want to be running and swimming in future.

If not spread will be having mastectomy.

Don't know if I should reconstruct or not. Looking for post surgery sports bras I can do half marathon in and swim suits for mile long outdoor swimming.

Only considering reconstruction for balance,  not that bothered about appearance .

Any tips?

• Hi, not sure I can advise specifically myself, but I noticed you haven’t had a response yet, as the site is quite busy. My answer will bump you back to the top of the group and I hope someone with the right experience will be along soon. Best wishes 

Community Champion badge

• Hi jeanne. I'm not sure if you're talking about sports bra for the long term or immediately after. I had my mastectomy just over 4weeks ago and was given a bra at the hospital the day after my op. I was told to keep it on 24/7 apart from when I was finally allowed to shower (various drains etc removed) few days later. But my consultant suggested a soft bra with a wide band, not necessarily sports. The wide band seems the most important part, to get as extras. I got myself some supermarket ones and some soft sports bras (consultant said NO padding), for night time as consultant recommended. Much more comfortable to sleep in than the others.

Just so you know, I've always been very physically active on a daily basis and the medics were surprised at how quickly I became mobile, upright etc. But I only managed 45mins walk for the 1st time yesterday. Because they were so pleased, I tried walking a bit further on my 2nd day home (1week post op) and I went grey...I was knackered!!! We are not all the same, some folk struggle more with one aspect of recovery than others. But be prepared to listen to your body and lower your normal physical expectations initially. Following their exercises several times of day, resting whenever you can and doing short walks gradually building it up (physio said I shud add 2mins max at a time), will stand you in good stead to help your body recover, giving it enough energy to repair itself, whilst improving your movement and eventually your stamina.

Sorry long text and not much advice re sports bra. But it was a shock to meas how short my WALKS have been. 

• Me again. I forgot to say I had tissue reconstruction at same time. So recovery is longer than implant or no reconstruction. Best of luck. Big hugs xxx

• Hi there. I can’t offer specific advice but I am due to have a mastectomy in 8 weeks and have opted for a silicone reconstruction. This offered the best mobility for the future - thinking post op for arm/ shoulder movement in particular. I’m having lymph nodes removed too. I also love running, swimming and cycling and want this in the future. I am expecting to wear sports bras in the future to support the  “new silicone” and original boob!