Blue dye - what does it show?

• 6 replies
  • 482 subscribers

A few days ago I had surgery including an isotopic injection and blue dye to locate lymph glands. 
Post surgery my partner said a vein in my neck appeared to be stained blue. On waking up I noticed that the area around my eyes seemed blue. Does that mean cancer was located there or does the dye just show lymph glands not actual cancer

any advice welcome 

thanks 

• Hi SEE, as far as I understand it the blue dye is just to show location of sentinel lymph nodes. This makes it easier for surgeons to locate them in the tissue/muscles it generally just shows sentinel nodes. I had blue wee for a while and boob.

Wishing you all the best

Hugs from cuffcake x x x x x 

• This is my understanding too.  

• Thanks. All a bit overwhelming at present as you can imagine. 
    You’re all in my prayers. 

• I was told by my surgeon that I might get a blue breastbir nipple. Although it's used to identify the nodes. Bur she said everyone reacts differently. I didn't go blue at all though. So everyone is different. But if u r worried just ask ur bc nurse. They have a variety of experience, unlike us. Big hugs. Xx

• Hi  , to echo others, my understanding is that the blue dye is just so that the surgeon can locate the sentinel nodes - I assume they have the strongest colour as it would go there first? I had a blue boob for months but for some people it seems to fade more quickly. I also had blue wee and poo! Thankfully that stopped quite quickly, very weird! Wishing you well with your recovery and any further treatment. Do contact the breast team if you’re not sure, they are there to support us. Love and hugs, HFxx

HappyFeet1 xx
    Don’t be afraid to cry. It will free your mind of sorrowful thoughts. – Hopi
  • I still have a blue nipple 3 months post surgery - this isn’t a problem of course and is fading week by week.
    if you’re worried about it anywhere else you could contact your breast care nurse for advice.  
    good luck