Hi Follow up appointment next week from Biopsy.

• 11 replies
  • 485 subscribers

Hello All

I feel like a bit if a fraud coming on here and asking for your views. As I haven't been diagnosed yet. I have a 3.5cm lump in my left breast. 2 weeks ago I went to the screening clinic and I had x2 2d mammogram a 3d mammogram, ultrasound and biopsy on the lump where they left a tag and 3 areas in my armpit but they couldn't tell me what they thought it was. Had a letter today for a follow up appointment next week with what looks to be a surgeon. I am still hoping for the best, but if this was you and based on your experience what sort of questions would you ask based on either outcomes. 

From a slightly anxious 40 year old mum of two little ones. 

• I think the key here will be to listen. If you can, take someone with you as it can be quite overwhelming. If there’s anything you don’t understand ask them to explain. I hope it goes well for you. Xx

• Good morning lovely mum with two gorgeous little oneHeart

Sounds very much like my experience 5 weeks ago and, deep down inside I did not want to know the diagnosis and was hoping it was nothing serious. However, I shocked myself by asking the consultant about the grading of my cancer. The consultant is lovely and he explained the whole process of each step the team will help me with my treatment plan. I did not read up on understanding breast cancer but, the booklet was very helpful. My main concern was how do I share my news with my 3 children as it was so much easier telling friends and work colleagues of my diagnosis as I had to arrange for time off work. This made me feel guilty as I felt my family deserved to know the truth and not leave them guessing. There is no right way, or right day to tell them but, I had to reassure them I will be alright as I am in good hands. I wish you all the best and if you need to vent your feelings, please do, we are all there to help each other.Revolving hearts

• Hi. I’m in a similar position to you. I went to the clinic yesterday expecting to be told I had a cyst (after a clear mammogram 4.5 months ago) and was shocked to be told that I had two lumps in my breast and one in my lymph nodes. Had 3 biopsies and tags left and am now in the waiting game for the follow up appointment like you.

also a mum to two very young children.

Sending positive thoughts to you. We can do this.

• Thanks for replying Jellybean82. I am keeping all my fingers and toes crossed for you and your little ones. Please let me know how you are (if you want to) as it does play on your mind while you are waiting. 

• Thank you for replying March. It was really lovely of you. How are you doing?

• FormerMember
    FormerMember in reply to Jellybean82

Hi to you and March. I'm in the same position as both of you. I've had 3 biopsies taken (1 lymph) and had an MRI all this past week. The waiting game is making me crazy and I've stopped googling now but am not sleeping etc. My results are on 27th. Best wishes to you both. X

• FormerMember
    FormerMember

Hey. So many of us on here in same boat. Like you and the other girls, I've just had 3 biopsies done with tags left in. I'm 47 and have a 12 year old. I'm worried but calm if that makes sense? I hope you're doing OK. R

• Hello Madhatter Heart and to the others in this thread,

The time between biopsy and seeing the consultant feels like it takes forever. My advice would be to do what is right for you between those appointments. I chose not to google anything and kept myself occupied with work. I would say it is good to bring someone with you (they can stay with you throughout). The nursing staff are exceptional for support too. I brought my husband and mainly because I knew he would take in all the information I would not. Whoever you bring with you can be this person for you. We also planned to go somewhere straight afterwards (a garden centre for lunch).

From receiving the news to my operation (last week) was less than 2 weeks in total. I would also say that you should focus on yourself and of course, your young ones (my children are nearly all adults now). Talk with who you choose to, when you need to. Doing this alone is a big personal pressure to place on yourself. People to support you can surprise and amaze you.

We are the stronger sex and we manage our way through these times. Groups like this are so valuable too. I feel less sore today after spending a couple of hours outside in the fresh air pottering in my garden. Stay strong, trust the medical experts and best wishes with your journey. Stay on here as much and for as long as you need to.

PS. You are NOT a fraud.Heart

• Thank you March and all of you in the thread

It is so helpful to hear that I'm not the only one going through this (even if I also wish that no one ever would have to go through it!) and also to hear that things can happen quickly to try to get through it.

I want to just know what I'm dealing with and move on with it as fast as possible!!

• YOU ARE NOT A FRAUD...I felt the same too at the beginning. Personally, I think all the waiting was the worst part for me. I'm now waiting again for the results from the lymph nodes they removed at the same time as my mastectomy. But I think I've learned to not spend time thinking about things I have no control over. 

I would say listen, have someone with you who can listen too and who you are happy to ask questions. Not knowing what they are going to tell you, I can't digest questions other than ask them for a contact phone number if you have any questions later. They gave me my breast clinic nurse no and they were fabulous. I found if I called in the morning (always answer machine) they generally called back the same day. If I called in afternoon, they called the next day...just my experience.

Best of luck to you and you are NOT a fraud. This is a great group for support, advice, to offload, and info. So feel free to type here after your appointment. Big hugs.