Breast cancer

• 7 replies
  • 483 subscribers

Good morning I’m new to this group.

my name is Kendal, and I’ve recently been diagnosed with early stage breast cancer.

im due to have my surgery which is a therapeutic mammaplasty procedure which I believe is removal of tumour, breast reduction and uplift at the same time, this is because more than 20 percent of my breast needs to be removed.

I would love to connect with anyone who has had this procedure as I know very little about it and I’m quite anxious.

many thanks in advance

Kendal Heart

• Hi Kendal, sorry to hear that you are waiting for surgery. I had a quartemdectony, as the tumour was large. 

At the same time I had a breast reduction on the other side (therapeutic mammoasty)

Please ask any questions you may have x

• Hi Kitty thankyou for your reply, 

I am due to have my left breast operated on next Thursday as that’s the breast with cancer, then return at a later date to have the right one done to match. I was wondering how long is recovery period after? Is the swelling and pain bad? 
    in nervous as I have a 36 dd bust and I don’t know what size I’m going to be, it’s all a little scary, but I feel very fortunate my cancer has been caught early. 
    Had yours been a successful procedure? 
    thank you so much 

Kendal xx 

• Hi, my surgeon gave me an estimate of what size I would be after the surgery. I was a 36F,now a 36 C/D.

The pain was controlled with pain killers which I took for a few days. I had drains which were in for about 14 days, they are a bit awkward & glad when out. During that time I couldnt shower or have a bath which was a pain but I managed.

Unfortunately for me a clear margin around the tumour wasn't obtained & my surgeon found further cancer, so I was recommended a mastectomy which I had 8 weeks later. I had immediate implant reconstruction 

I hadnt really prepared myself for that news but I have come to realise that it can often happen.

I went onto have radiotherapy.

I hope your op goes well, just give yourself a few weeks to take it easy while everything starts to heal. 

Best wishes x 

• Thank you so much for your help, I have been told that I am at a higher risk of not getting clear margins. I accept this, I think that’s why I’m not having my right breast done until a later date. 
    You sound very positive, and super strong. I wish you all the very best with your ongoing journey xx. 
    kindest wishes, and thank you again 

Kendal HeartHeart

• Thank you. 

Hope next week goes well, it's a massive step forward in your treatment pathway. 

Best wishes Viv 

• Hi Kendal, I had a therapeutic mammoplasty which reduced my breasts from a 36FF to a 36D. The recovery was excellent. I had two PICO drains in for 7 days and they were removed as I had healed so well.

I took paracetamol for two days and felt great. I ate a diet of high protein to aid healing and was out walking on day two post surgery. Do your exercises too.

Breast reduction  has been amazing for me.  My clothes fit better, I feel 19 again and exercising is easier too.  I was very anxious before surgery but this has been a silver lining.

i started my Radiotherapy last week and need 15 treatments along with Letrazole and Ibandronic Acid.

You will do great. Stay positive and trust the experts.  Wishing you well along your journey. X

• Hi there, thank you so much for your reply, it’s really been very helpful.

I’m so pleased your treatment plan worked for you, I hope mine is as positive as yours. 

kindest wishes 

Kendal xx