Shell shocked

• 30 replies
  • 487 subscribers

Title just about sums up how I’m feeling.

i found a lump before Christmas and popped down to the gp they saw me the same day which was good. In went a referral to the breast clinic and I was called for a mammogram on New Year’s Eve. Whilst there they did ultra sound and took biopsies and told me I would get my results in 2-4 weeks. Almost 4 weeks to the day I sat in a doctors office to be told I’ve got breast cancer. This was Monday and it’s still sinking in. 

I know it’s grade 2 lobular and that I need an MRI, a tag placing and then surgery and radio is the plan at the moment. I’ve started on tamoxifen and also need to have my coil removed.

i can talk about it quite dispassionately but just feel a bit numb. Plodding through going to work, looking after the family because life has to carry on. I know there’s lots that can be done and I will be ok At the end of my journey but it just all feels like it’s happening to someone else.

• Hi  and a warm welcome to the forum. Sorry you find yourself here, it’s such a shock to learn that you have cancer. Hopefully you’ll find this a great place for support and shared experiences, I know I have. Your case sounds similar in some respects to mine, although I had invasive ductal rather than lobular cancer. And I am guessing that you are younger (I was 59) and premenopausal as you mention a coil and tamoxifen. Whereas I was definitely post menopausal. 
    The numb feeling sounds very familiar although it’s now over 5 years since my diagnosis. My treatment plan was similar to what you’ve outlined, and you’ll find that many here have also followed that route. I felt some comfort from that fact and knowing that people come out the other side and carry on with their lives. I think for me it became more real when I got a copy of the letter sent to my GP - seeing it there in black and white seemed to ‘bring it home’, and it was definitely a relief to get the op over and done with. I think many of us cope by just focusing on one thing at a time. So in your case, getting the MRI and the tagging out of the way, then whatever comes next. My main advice at this stage is not to google!! So much out there is out of date or just wrong. Best to stick with reliable sites like this. 
    Wishing you well, keep posting and asking any questions or just have a rant if necessary! It’s a safe place to express stuff without worrying about things like ‘putting on a brave face’ for others. Love and hugs, HFxx

HappyFeet1 xx
    Don’t be afraid to cry. It will free your mind of sorrowful thoughts. – Hopi
  • I am so sorry to read you have been diagnosed with breast cancer. It’s a dreadful shock isn’t it. And, especially to begin with, there is a lot of waiting for test results so they can plan individual treatment for you.

I was diagnosed with 20mm lobular in March last year. They put a drip in my arm before the MRI, you lie face down with your boobs hanging through holders, halfway through they injected through the drip. They called it contrast, to see the breast more clearly. A MRI is really useful for lobular which is well known for not showing well on imaging.

I then had lumpectomy, was put on an aromatase inhibitor (anastrozole), and had  5 sessions radiotherapy, 

I echo  ‘s warning about googling. In the early days things that helped me were posting and reading forums, the booklets downloadable from the Breast Cancer Now charity website, the Facebook group Linking Lobular Ladies, and the book The Complete Guide to Breast Cancer by Prof Trisha Greenhalgh and Dr Liz O’Riordan ( I got a used copy cheaply from somewhere like World of Books or eBay). Dr Liz O’Riordan also now has a YouTube channel with short explanatory videos, some would be relevant to you.

Sending you a big hug, xx

• I’m late 40’s and was so hoping that it was just going to be a fatty lump or a cyst like everyone was trying to reassure me it would be. It’s slowly sinking in but as I said it feels so unreal. I think once the appointments start coming through the reality might hit me a bit harder. Whilst the biopsy was being done I just kept thinking this can’t be real it can’t actually be happening to me.

• Thank you for your kind words and for giving my a bit more information about what I’m looking at

• So my letter has come through for my MRI its next Friday at 8:50am. Still waiting for gp to remove coil they’ve suggested contacting umbrella to get it done as they have a long list!Rage I would prefer it done by the surgery who I’ve been with over 20 years who put it in in the first place but it really needs to be out soon as possible doesn’t it?

• Ying and Yang.

I think you’ve got a good time slot for your MRI. Get it over and done with. At least you won’t have to wait hours and hours thinking about it waiting for it to be time.

As for your GP surgery saying they’re too busy … well I don’t really have the words! Although I’ve found it sometimes is who you’re speaking to, they don’t understand and just trot out general advice that they’d say to anyone. I do hope you’ve got an appointment sorted for it now. 

xx

• MRI done and dusted I’ve got a second look ultrasound on Wednesday to look at areas of concern highlighted by the MRI. They are also going to put the locator tag in the initial area too.

ive noticed today some pain in my armpit and round my collarbone on the side I have my cancer. Wondering if it’s just my brain playing ticks or if it’s connected to the cancer. I suppose I will find out on Wednesday!

• Hi MH - how did your US go and MRI reults? I've just been diagnosed with ILC , am having ache in my collarbone on RHS but I lft weights at the gym  and had 2 biopsies. 

• Second ultrasound done no further biopsies thank goodness. Tag has been inserted and I’m feeling a bit sore from that still. Hope to hear when my next appointment with surgical team us by Friday!

• Good to hear no more biopsies .