New here

• 12 replies
  • 485 subscribers

Hi, I'm new here.  I was 53 when I found my lump, which was diagnosed with breast cancer in Sept 2024.  I had lumpectomy + sentinel node biopsy. The results showed cancer in one node, so I had further surgery to remove all my axillary lymph nodes in Dec 2024 before christmas.  The journey for both operations has been different. Everything is going really well after the first surgery but encountering a rougher ride with the second.  It's 7weeks on and I am trying to get back to normal but haven't driven since the surgery,due to seroma, swelling, cording and stiffness in wound site and shoulder limitations, but with the continuing exercises given to me after surgery and me looking for cording exercises on you tube I am getting there slowly, although I asked for help I have still not yet recieved any from physio.  I am a working mum with two young people, my daughter 16, who is going to be doing her gcse exams this year and my son 19, who is autistic and is doing an internship at the moment. My husband is doing his best, but I really don't think he knows what to do or say when the emotional days are with me. 

• Hi SammyJW

Welcome to the forum and I am sorry to hear that you were diagnosed with breast cancer and had to have two operations and that you are struggling after the second op.

Wishing you the best of luck with your recovery.

Best wishes

Daisy53

Community Champion Badge

• Hello SammyJW

So sorry you are going through all this - I was exactly the same as you regarding operations and one node involved but a year before you.  Trying to keep yourself going for the family while coping with BC and its treatment is blooming tough especially when you work.  I'm self-employed and literally had to keep going as there was no financial help available.  Make sure you take time out for yourself.  I really tried protecting everyone by carrying on as normal (don't we always as a mum) but that ended up just giving me more to cope with.  It will gradually get better, small steps for everyone.  Keep doing your exercises.  I find that if I don't do mine for a couple of weeks, everything tightens up but improves when I start again and I've had no lymphoedema despite having all my nodes removed  Re physio, I also had cording but after a couple of sessions with the physio, it completely resolved so push to be seen.  Do you have to have any further treatment?  Sending hugs your way x

• Hi SammyJW, 
    Sounds very similar to my journey so far. Lumpectomy in Nov  and 1/1 positive node. They also found DCIS near my lump. So back in for Mastectomy and node clearance last Thursday. I’m terrified of getting more bad news next week when the pathology report is due. Don’t feel like I can cope with much more after a rough few months. I’m almost 48 and feel like I’ve bounced back quite well from surgery but have now gone downhill again. My surgeon told me today that they’d removed level 1&2 and I asked if they’d seemed normal in appearance. She said you can’t really tell but had noticed a few felt hard. So that’s sent me off into a panic! 
    it’s so tough when it’s so drawn out. I just want to know my treatment plan but again have to wait. What are your next steps?
    Sending hugs and best wishes 
    A x

• I have not had any lymphedema - so far so good!  After being told no chemo three weeks ago and offered radiotherapy,  everything changed last week with chemo now being recommended, I have another appointment tomorrow, so should find out exactly whats happening next.  Thankyou for making contact, take care xx

• Sounds like you're really going through it, hang in there, everything seems to take forever, but you can't change the outcome, things will be what they will be, prepare yourself.  After my lymph node biopsy result came back positive I was shocked and unprepared for that result, so vowed to better prepare myself after second surgery, expecting more positive nodes but hoping they were negative, but again it was a positive outcome, but they did achieve a level 3 clearance, so all my cancer has been removed.  Just sorting out the next step, back to primrose unit tomorrow, so hopfully should know whats next and when.  Take care, I wish you well as you continue your journey xx

• Hi I had a lumpectomy in January and also had a positive lymph node so was recommended to have level 3 lymph node clearance and now awaiting results. Hoping desperately not to have chemo and just radiotherapy. Sammy what was your follow up treatment?

• Hi, I started chemo and will have 4 treatments in total, at 3 weekly intervals.  I have not been given anthracycines as I had a pre existing heart condition, so they chose Docetaxel and Cyclophosphamide.   The first one went well and I haven't been too bad, all the other meds they give alongside to help with side effects worked.  My next one is 15th March.  

I hope your pathology results are clear, but just in case they aren't,  hang in there.  I'm here if you want to chat.  

• Hi 

How come you had chemo as clearance was done and cancer was removed?

• Apparently, its due to the fact that as cancer was found in my nodes, they don't know whether cells have travelled further into my system, as hormone positive cancer, it's one way of making sure no cells are setting up home elsewhere n my body. My menopause status seems a bit unknown as well, so they are just making sure.  

• Hi thank you for your response. I guess I just have to wait and see what they say. The waiting is tough! I wish you all the best and hope you stay well throughout your treatment.